Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,
    I need a comments for this site.

Thank you in advance.

Member #
    I'm getting ready to rush out the door, so please forgive me if this comes off as a little curt or choppily-written. You have good visual design sense, but appear to lack experience when it comes to the special issues of designing and coding for the Web. I've given helpful links where possible.

The Good

It's visually appealing, with a clean and simple look that's well suited to the products being sold. Good use of white space and good use of subtle background color shifts to demarcate the different areas of the page. Nice image choices. Nice logo.

The Bad

The HTML doesn't validate, and neither does the CSS. Invalid code is an invitation to difficult-to-diagnose bugs.

Use of tables for layout -- bad for accessibility and tends to bloat the code.

Failure to use semantically-meaningful (X)HTML -- reduces search-engine friendliness and accessibility. Also makes it harder to use CSS effectively. (see also Dave Shea's excellent Markup Guide)

No ALT attributes for image elements -- bad for accessibility.

Over-reliance on JavaScript -- I didn't have time to look at your scripts and figure out their purpose, but with that many attached to your page I'm guessing you're probably using JS for some things that CSS could accomplish. Every script you add increases the download time of your page.

Inline JavaScript -- just like linked external stylesheets, linked external script files are cached by the browser and only need to be downloaded once. By putting script in the page itself, you're increasing the download time of every page.

I have a strong suspicion you're using a visual editor such as Dreamweaver or GoLive. This is bad practice because it usually leads to worse code. For example, the links in your sidebar are redundantly nested within eight <b> tags and a <font> tag. All the styling applied to those sidebar links could be done in a CSS file that only has to be downloaded once, instead of being redundantly applied to every single link on every single page. See Ben Hunt's "Why Code By Hand" for more info.

Other Recommended Reading

Web Design from Scratch -- Either you have a little design training already, or you've got a naturally good eye and some taste. What you need is a grounding in the fundamentals of designing web sites. This site is a great place to start. It's easy to follow, but never talks down to you.

Designing with Web Standards, by Jeffrey Zeldman -- An absolute classic, by one of the igniters of the web standards movement. Don't buy this one just yet. Instead, get it in a library now for some quick learning, then buy the second edition when it comes out in June.

Eric Meyer on CSS, More Eric Meyer on CSS, and Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide -- All great, all by CSS guru ninja master Eric Meyer.

Web Standards Solutions and Bulletproof Web Design, both by Dan Cederholm. The man is an ace when it comes to creative practical application of CSS and semantic XHTML.

And finally, some web usability books: Defensive Design for the Web and Don't Make Me Think are both good ones to get started with. When you're ready for a more formal, academic approach to usability, check out The Elements of User Experience by Jesse James Garrett.

Hope that was helpful. Best of luck!
    Zenscope Studio
    Quality Website Development and Graphic Design
    Specializing in Independently-Owned Businesses and Non-Profits
    www.zenscope.com

Member #
    Very nice design.
    All those pictures are very beautiful, especially I like that woman sitting and relaxing

Member #
    The design is very nice and relaxing, a great choice of colour scheme to match the subject I think. One gripe is the advertising banner. It detracts from the design, but serves a useful purpose so probably needs to be included, but on some pages it is at the bottom and others it's at the top. Try and find a consistent spot.
    Currently using: Firefox 1.5, IE 7, Notepad, Ms Paint, GIMP

Member #
    First of all, amessinger: very detailed, especially for "running out the door" I am sure, mira, there is a lot to chew on there.

Judging by the url, however, it looks as if this is not a self-generated site. Basically, if you make it yourself, some of these issues may be resolved.

Moving right along to front-end critique:

The text below the photos should align with the width of the photos. Also these photos seem odd to me because the order does not match the navigation, and there are some elements in the nav not photographed... why are these special?

Internal pages: keep the text in a smaller column, no need for it to wrap below the image. Wide columns of text are difficult to read. More padding by the picture.

Forum looks good, but is longer than the layout.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Thank you for advices.
    Amessinger the code is not mine. I've used web based CMS system (www.sitekreator.com).
    So I cant change it.
    Only the design is mine.

Member #
    Looks good and considering that you have used a code generator the outcome looks very professional.

Also as ALLYHARP said, the Advertising banner is the weak link here. If you absolutely need it to be there then the best thing to do is find a way to make it as unintrusive (sp?) as possible.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    I hadn't noticed it was from a code generator before. It's very impressive with that in mind. A good design that I think you could still use when/if you do learn some code (everyone here will highly recommend you to) either to edit the coding of this page or to build from scratch and aim to have a result matching this.

I think there's a few continuity issues you could tweak a little. The aromatherapy page is the one with the advertising banner at the top, which looks wrong considering all the others are down low. I also think the advertising banner would look better if it was just a touch narrower - 20 pixels tops. I'm not familiar with googleads so I'm not sure how possible this is.

On some pages you also have a blue footer bar, but there was at least one with just a grey bar at the bottom and one that had nothing at all. Decide which you prefer - probably the blue - and make each page match.

Another point is I would also try and remove the "SiteKreator" bar at the bottom of the pages before going live. This might just be added in automatically to every page stored on their server though so can't be changed unless you're hosting elsewhere.

Overall the site looks nice and there's not much wrong with it visually. It's just the code behind it that is weak - a common feature of using design programs, even the "professional" ones.
    Currently using: Firefox 1.5, IE 7, Notepad, Ms Paint, GIMP

Remove Ads