Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

You need the username and password to get in:
    Username: guest
    Password: beta

I need some criticism on a site I'm working on that involves a lot of AJAX. And no, when its finished it will not break the back button, nor history functionality. I will also make a non-javascript version for those who have javascript disabled.

Right now use Firefox to see the site as it has not yet been thoroughly tested in IE or Safari.

I want some input on the design not only of the website itself but the cart as well.

At this point there may be some bugs here and there. Some of them I am aware of, but you can report bugs as well.

Link to site: http://www.begalboards.com

EDIT: Also feel free to critique the use of Ajax.

EDIT: If things look weird or something is not working properly, it may be because I am working on it right now.

Member #
    I've updated the cart and preview functionality. The cart now adjusts its size to fit the amount of items in it. What do you all think of this approach?

Member #
    The look and feel is good. The site does a good job of showing off AJAX based controls. However, I would be more comfortable with a specific, targeted user and product line. This way, the preview option "In a Nutshell" might better serve the user. For instance, reading material might be rated by users or scored with formulas for readability (as Amazon does), or maybe "basic," "intermediate" and "advanced" user.

It looks good. With only boilerplate and untargeted user profile, there is little to tell how it works for users. AJAX is undoubtedly powerful, but so it Flash. Above and beyond technical factors, Flash gets criticized for being about Flash first ....with users a distant second.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856
    The look and feel is good. The site does a good job of showing off AJAX based controls. However, I would be more comfortable with a specific, targeted user and product line. This way, the preview option "In a Nutshell" might better serve the user. For instance, reading material might be rated by users or scored with formulas for readability (as Amazon does), or maybe "basic," "intermediate" and "advanced" user.
    Oh yeah, the boards will of course each have their own preview, showing a bit of the actual text of each one. The "In a Nutshell" is just part of the board that is in production right now, so I don't have any other preview to give to the other boards because the other boards are fictional.

It looks good. With only boilerplate and untargeted user profile, there is little to tell how it works for users.
    Not sure exactly what you mean by that. Is it that the site doesn't seem targeted to anybody?

AJAX is undoubtedly powerful, but so it Flash. Above and beyond technical factors, Flash gets criticized for being about Flash first ....with users a distant second.
    The only reason we are using Ajax is to make things work better for the users. So if there is something in particular Ajax does to degrade the site to users, please comment on it, because we are definitely more interested in the users than the technology.

Remove Ads