Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

hey everybody,
    just got a new site up: fresh homepage, a few links, and a bunch of dead ends right now. Your thoughts on what i could do to make it better (i know, it's pretty bare right now. I'm afraid to change from white...ideas?)
    thanks,
    http://www.travelingeurail.com

Member #
    Title graphic took a while to load.

Site looks very bland. You want to give the impression that travelling by train around Europe is a great exciting way to get around but people will see this site and think: "If it's a boring as this... I don't wanna do it."

Lookin at your code.... You've done a big no-no! you've put in loads of white text to get noticed by search engines....They WILL disregard your site for that very reason.

Use meta keywords the same as everyone else and you'll have no problems.

You've used Tables.... Fair enough. your layout, as it is, is quite tabular so I've got no problems with that although I dare say some ppl on here will. I still think It can be cleaned up a lot though.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Well, I don't understand the issue either, but yes your banner takes awhile to load. It is only 61K so it should load faster than that.
    Also, with the banner, I see you did the handwritten "for the and by the"......but I am confused. Is that a T or an L in the word? Very hard to read. I sat there trying to figure out what a EuraiTer was.
    The site is VERY boring and lacking in content. You have a great concept and I'd be interested to know more about what it is traveling Europe by rail..........as Minute said, if I looked at this site with the potential to use you, I wouldn't.
    No pictures to detail a little bit about what you do, no real content (I understand it is a work in progress), and lighten up on the under construction, coming soon, working on.....etc.
    Put a launch date up and then meet it. Let viewers know when to expect the site to wow them.
    As for tables. The only reason you should ever use tables anymore, is to eat at them.
    Good luck with the site and let us know when you get the site more towards completion.
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    As for tables. The only reason you should ever use tables anymore, is to eat at them.
    A bit harsh... Tables are fine if they are only used to display Tabular content. Using them for layout is iffy but for beginners they are quite easy to play about with...Good to get the basics of a markup language.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    You should start learning some css and get rid of the tables used for layout here. The layout is simple which usually is a good thing but you should make the design a bit more interesting.

Member #
    i won't repeat what has been said above so i'll keep it short.

Its a bit bland, put some colour and images on there. Make it more exciting and fresh.

You want to catch the viewer's attention stairhgt away, short paragraphs that get to the point and an image or two wouldnt hurt. So long as the loading times stay down.
    ----------
    Steve

Member #
    hi everybody,
    thanks for the input, i'll have to start getting busy here with graphics and such.
    the reason i have tables is that i need a way to standardize my css. i couldn't figure out how to keep it all relative due to different display sizes, so i put the css in tables. Not sure if someone can tell me what i'm overlooking (right under my nose? could someone look through my css?)

thanks everybody, hopefully i'll be able to use your advice correctly and make this a stimulating site (i laughed when i realized how poorly the homepage reflected the excitement of the actual eurail experience, lol minute)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    A calendar is a perfect place to use tables, and preferred by myself for such...

Remove Ads