Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi Everyone! My collector car website recently turned 1 year old in March. This is my first website that I have created and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it. Over the past year I have worked hard to improve the features and design of the site in order to give the users a much better experience. My site focuses on Classic Cars and events to display them in my corner of the globe, Wisconsin. What do you think of the site now, http://www.wiscollectorcar.com - as well as all the other parts (forum, photo gallery, ect)?

In comparison you can view the old versions of the website that I used here:
    http://archives.wiscollectorcar.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Your old sites were terrible, no offense but the new one is awsum. Then i noticed that I have seen that layout before, here: http://www.filteredfilms.com . I dont know if it is a template or if you copied it but anyways it looks good.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    infiniti: They're both Content Management Systems, neither is a copy of the other.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Alright, sorry then if i was a little harsh. It looks really good, out of ten i would rate it a 7.5

Member #
    infiniti: They're both Content Management Systems, neither is a copy of the other.
    Yep, Joomla CMS. If you look in the footer it has a link to the original template author, I have since modified it.

What specific things do you like about the site? What things could I change to make it better and increase traffic?

Member #
    It seems like the forums is probably you're biggest feature on the site, although the news section is interesting as well. I would suggest making the forums easier to find, maybe a more noticable, stand-out link, for those who heard about the site by word of mouth, or through a link. Also, i know its a template-based site, but it seems a little busy. I had to stop and try to figure out what exactly was going on when I first logged on. Other than that though, your site defininitely has potential, and a ton of content, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of sites.
    http://christopher-scott.org - Ramblings of an amateur web designer
    http://childfreechoice.com - An online community for the positively childfree

Member #
    It seems like the forums is probably you're biggest feature on the site, although the news section is interesting as well. I would suggest making the forums easier to find, maybe a more noticable, stand-out link, for those who heard about the site by word of mouth, or through a link. Also, i know its a template-based site, but it seems a little busy. I had to stop and try to figure out what exactly was going on when I first logged on. Other than that though, your site defininitely has potential, and a ton of content, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of sites.
    Agreed, the forum is the main focus of the site, although the Car Show Guide section is meant as a big resource as well - but only Wisconsin users would actually get use out of it. I'm not sure if I could make it stand out more as the menu is configured through the backend and I believe all links must have the same properties. I'll see what I can do though

As far as busyness I can see that, there are a lot of different little features on the front page. Which do you think are necessary and which do you think should be removed?

Member #
    Three column Layouts are always nice to see, they are a simple way of sectioning up your site. I've had some experience with Joomla in the past and have always thought quite highly of it.

Only problem I've got is that it looks a little bit busy....
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by minute44
    Three column Layouts are always nice to see, they are a simple way of sectioning up your site. I've had some experience with Joomla in the past and have always thought quite highly of it.

Only problem I've got is that it looks a little bit busy....
    What should be cut to make it less busy? The problem I have is I want to include comprehensive information and I also do not want to have a bunch of blank space - how can I do this without making it look too busy?

Member #
    First things first, check out the site in Safari. Screenshot attached. Specifically, look at the menu and the sponsored links on the left. If I had not opened FF, I would have gone crazy with my suggestions in this post.

Next, back to the topic... to lessen the busy-ness, remove the clutter. Take out everything that is not essential. Consolidate & summarize so you are highlighting the content.

For example...
    The calendar on the right can list events with high priority, only.
    New Forum Topics is in two places
    etc.

More white space will reduce clutter. So will leading.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads