Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

It's a supplier directory based on reviews from brides and grooms. I've been working on it for about three weeks. I've never done web page design so I've just used a web page builder (seems a bit like cheating when I see what some of you have done). :ermm:

But, anyway, I'd appreciate your views on it. Aside from any design aspects I realise I have to do something as regards a newsletter and some regularly updated content. The news section isn't enough.

Member #
    Problems with this site:
    There's almost as much real estate on the main page dedicated to advertisements as there is for content.

The main color scheme is nice but then you insist on throwing hot pink and purple into the mix. UGLY!

Some pages are centered, some are left justified.

The content on the main page is centered and should be left justified. The news page is the same way.

Some pages keep yelling at me for blocking javascript.

You have an entire website in an inline frame on your main page.

There's way too much white space at the bottom of the main page.

For some strange reason the picture used for the background of your logo is larger than the border for the text.

Member #
    Thanks James. I'm glad to have the feedback. The site is a total mess I know. I got in touch with a professional web designer today and he told me all those things that you've told me. I'm going to have a look at some stuff he's designed and then talk to him again about designing something for me. I'm only wasting my time messing around with the setup of it when I should be generating interesting content for the site.

I've set up another website, completely unrelated, that I can mess around with in my spare time (what spare time) and try to get some experience in. I'm armed with a trial version of Dreamweaver 8 and the html skills of a duck billed platypus. Now let's see what damage I can do.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bride
    ... I'm only wasting my time messing around with the [design] of it when I should be generating interesting content for the site.
    Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely! That's the best thing I've ever read on this forum! You are absolutely correct, your job is to create the content; leave the designing of the website to the professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bride
    I'm armed with a trial version of Dreamweaver 8 and the html skills of a duck billed platypus. Now let's see what damage I can do.
    I love hearing this too. Once you have a solid understanding of HTML, CSS, and design fundamentals, you will be able to classify yourself as a professional and begin designing your own sites instead of paying someone else to do it. Then you can revisit the comment above and begin including yourself in the design aspects of the site.

As you progress in your studies, submit your design ideas here and let these folks critique it. You might not always get the "sugar-coated" responses you want to hear, but you will get valuable criticisms nonetheless.

Remove Ads