Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

about:

Garden of eNigma is my personal website and portfolio. I'm really
    comfortable working with white background because I believe it is less
    evil

---

I welcome any comments concerning the looks and design of my site

-
    eNigma

Member #
    A few comments:
    --Maybe stay away from a serif font?
    --The links, when hovered upon, change the length of the paragraph: big no-no
    --You need an about page. Your middle column goes from about the page to verification to about ugly website trends. Pick one topic for your home and don't deviate.
    --The clock doesn't need it's own div. I think it should be eliminated or put it the bottom of the navigation div.
    --Center the whole page
    --Use headers to section off different entries in the center div. It makes it easier to read.

These are all my opinion of course.
    I really like what you've done with the metallic sharp-edged look though. Very slick.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by KyPeN
    A few comments:
    --You need an about page. Your middle column goes from about the page to verification to about ugly website trends. Pick one topic for your home and don't deviate.
    --The clock doesn't need it's own div. I think it should be eliminated or put it the bottom of the navigation div.
    --Center the whole page
    --Use headers to section off different entries in the center div. It makes it easier to read.

I really like what you've done with the metallic sharp-edged look though. Very slick.
    KyPeN has said about all that need to be said to be honest...

Maybe make the main content div wider... It's like reading a website on the side of a match stick.

That clock needs to go. It is pointless. People have a clock on their start bar (which is where your clock pulls it's time from BTW) The only time this would be usefull is if it was a feed from the atomic clock or something...but even that is now being made redundant cos windows syncs with those clocks anyway...

Long story short... lose it.

On the plus side... I like the gothic design you've gone for.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by minute44
    KyPeN has said about all that need to be said to be honest...

Maybe make the main content div wider... It's like reading a website on the side of a match stick.

That clock needs to go. It is pointless. People have a clock on their start bar (which is where your clock pulls it's time from BTW) The only time this would be usefull is if it was a feed from the atomic clock or something...but even that is now being made redundant cos windows syncs with those clocks anyway...

Long story short... lose it.

On the plus side... I like the gothic design you've gone for.
    I may lose the clock or replace a better java script with tme date settings. I'm working with a very small monitor all the time because it's the only monitor I have
    at home and I really don't want to create a horizontal bar in any of my pages

Thank you for liking the gothic design

--
    eNigma

A few comments:
    --Center the whole page

1. what's wrong with serif? please tell me because I'm interested
    2. I need to put the clock inside a <div> for that design inorder for things
    to work properly.
    3. i really have trouble in center design using css and it's still something that I need to
    practice. I think you are using a screen resolution higher than 1024x768 in which sad that's the only resolution my pc can afford.
    4. If you look into the codes, I'm sure you can find <h1> element.
    5. I'll will work on the About page.
    5. thank you for liking the metallic sharp-edged look

--
    eNigma

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eNigma
    1. what's wrong with serif? please tell me because I'm interested
    2. I need to put the clock inside a <div> for that design inorder for things
    to work properly.
    3. i really have trouble in center design using css and it's still something that I need to
    practice. I think you are using a screen resolution higher than 1024x768 in which sad that's the only resolution my pc can afford.
    4. If you look into the codes, I'm sure you can find <h1> element.
    5. I'll will work on the About page.
    5. thank you for liking the metallic sharp-edged look

--
    eNigma
    1)Serif fonts were originally created, as far as I know, for type-faces. Paper. I find them more difficult to read than a good sans-sarif font (Lucida Sans Unicode is a personal favorite excluding the leaked Vista ones) on a computer. Just one man's opinion.
    3)Yup, 1280x1024 here at work and 1920x1200 at home !. I have trouble with the same thing. I use margin % to do it which is an ugly hack but gets the job done.
    4) I think it just needs to be more explicit. How about using a font 4pts bigger and giving it a bottom 1px black or gray border? I find that look unintrusive, visually appealing, and a great seperator.
    6) Your welcome :knockedout:. Very nice graphics work. Your hard work shows.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eNigma69
    I'm working with a very small monitor all the time because it's the only monitor I have
    at home and I really don't want to create a horizontal bar in any of my pages
    OK you may be working on a small monitor with a small resolution but you need to understand... most people are not.

If you are designing a site for people other than yourself to look at then you would be best advised to take these points on board.

Why do you feel you need a clock or time and date to be displayed? If you can think of a genuine purpose, I'd like to hear it.

Also; Centering your content is easy. Simply give your container div a left and right margin of auto... Bob's your mother's brother!
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    1)Serif fonts were originally created, as far as I know, for type-faces. Paper. I find them more difficult to read than a good sans-sarif font (Lucida Sans Unicode is a personal favorite excluding the leaked Vista ones) on a computer. Just one man's opinion.
    3)Yup, 1280x1024 here at work and 1920x1200 at home !. I have trouble with the same thing. I use margin % to do it which is an ugly hack but gets the job done.
    4) I think it just needs to be more explicit. How about using a font 4pts bigger and giving it a bottom 1px black or gray border? I find that look unintrusive, visually appealing, and a great seperator.
    6) Your welcome :knockedout:. Very nice graphics work. Your hard work shows.
    woahwow! those are very high resolutions and I'm envy As for the hacks, I need to learn first about them but I read articles about the bad side of using hacks I just forgot the link maybe I'll google later. I really appreciate your opinions

--
    eNigma

Quote Originally Posted by minute44
    OK you may be working on a small monitor with a small resolution but you need to understand... most people are not.

If you are designing a site for people other than yourself to look at then you would be best advised to take these points on board.

Why do you feel you need a clock or time and date to be displayed? If you can think of a genuine purpose, I'd like to hear it.

Also; Centering your content is easy. Simply give your container div a left and right margin of auto... Bob's your mother's brother!
    Honestly, the clock is just for a decorative purpose *blush* hehehe... there was a day when I was staring at my site and I felt that I need to add something so by
    accident or intentional () I decided to include a clock. I will try your suggestion about giving the container <div> an auto left/right margin.

--
    eNigma
    when I stared in the index page and I

Member #
    good work dear, but why not you use flash & all, flash make your site more beautyful..... good luck.......

Member #
    If u dont know how to use flash, so u can use swishmax, that so easy software, every one can read & use it, if you need help tell me..

Mansih Tuli
    www.cre8ivemind.com

Member #
    Don't add Flash. No need for it. The learning curve is incredibly steep and there's about 1000 bad flash sites for every good one... you're not likely to be the good one unless you've been designing for a few years and doing Flash however long it takes you to get over the learning curve.</rant>

Best way to center your site is create a container div for all your content and put in this attribute [minicode]margin: auto auto;[/minicode].

Here's a history lesson for the day. Times was invented by the London Times as a means of fitting as much text on the page as humanly possible while maintain legibility. Times New Roman developed from that. Traditionally, serif fonts are used for bodies of text in print. Now, the web is different, because instead of reading text against a solid background, we're reading against a BACKLIT background. The serifs that once helped define the shape of a letter now cause blurriness. That's bad.

Serif fonts can be used on the web. But please, please PLEASE, do not use Times New Roman. BTW, that means you will always have to set your font-family, because TNR is the default in most browsers (unless changee manually). HOWEVER, if you use a serif font, the size and leading (line-height in CSS) become very important. Note that IE does not handle line-height consistently so you may need to [minicode]* html[/minicode].
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads