Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JadedDESIGN

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is my web design service that I've set up as means to hopefully make a little bit of money whilst I'm studying

Member #
    Just a thought... With a name like JADED Design maybe use a Green colour scheme...? Jaded...Jade...Green.... get me?

The site looks good though... I'm pretty impressed.

Those flash buttons are perhaps a little bit subtle. Maybe a simple CSS overhaul on an unordered list could yeild better results.

My main problem with the site, however, is the fact that your three hosting packages appear on EVERY SINGLE PAGE (except portfolio) We get the idea man. I would only include that on "web design" and "Hosting".

But not bad... not bad at all.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Yeah they're only on all the pages until i get something else to put on them

The name jadeddesign refers more to the actual term jaded (meaning bored) than the colour but thats not a bad idea i can see why green would be a clever choice for a colour scheme

thanks for the comments

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDESIGN

The name jadeddesign refers more to the actual term jaded (meaning bored)
    Yeah, I get that... just thought it would be a clever little link or something... or maybe I'm just being a geek:nervous:
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Lose the validation graphic! It kills the look. If you must have it, I suggest a text link or a custom graphic. Your pages don't validate anyway. Simple oversight, perhaps.

Member #
    The Good
    Nice color scheme and feel to the site. Navigation is easy and straightforward and the content is pertinent.

The Bad
    I can't read the links; dark blue links on a black background have terrible contrast. Change to a lighter shade of blue.

I had to REALLY concentrate to tell if there was any mouseover animation on your nav links. That needs to be reworked. Your animation should allow for confident navigation by being obvious to the visitor. The button labels look washed-out. I'd suggest making the text in the labels larger and maybe use bold text. It's like the antialiasing of the text is causing it to blend into the background.

Hmm... I'm not a fan of mixing tables and CSS unless it's ablsolutely neccessary. In your case it is not. Your design could easily be pure CSS, use of which would help clean up your code, which right now is nothing to showcase.

I'd like to see the advertisements for your webdesign packages reordered. "A" comes before "B" in the alphabet and should be reflected as such on your site. Besides, you should always market your most expensive option first. A mouseover on these graphics would be nice too. There's no indication that I should click on them.

FYI, the mouseover sounds on the "Slippery" site are annoying.

Conclusion
    You are marketing yourself as a professional web designer, as such your website will be held to higher standards than most. Although the site looks nice, I would not hire you as a designer. The site needs more edge. I would also, as a potential customer, want to be able to visit the websites in your portfolio not just see some tiny screenshots.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskeeler
    ...I would also, as a potential customer, want to be able to visit the websites in your portfolio not just see some tiny screenshots.
    Oops, my bad. I didn't notice the links beneath the graphics. Read above about the dark blue links on a black background.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    not feeling it, its okay but i wouldnt hire you. No offese, its too plain, very simple. Simple is usually good but only when simple is clean and your site isnt very clean.

Member #
    jameskeeler, Some of what you've said has been quite useful, I'm still new at this and tips like the dark blue contrast and mouseover animation help because I've been looking at it so long I've become to immune to little things like that and first impressions so to speak

I'm not claiming to be a professional at all, I'm a student.. Not to make excuses for myself but I'm 17 and still learning. I'm also not charging professional prices.

and A doesn't necessarily have to come before B and C, I'm displaying the most affordable first and then the more expensive. As affordable is what I'm trying to sell.

infiniti, Fair enough.

Member #
    Hello JadedDESIGN,

Welcome to the forums. Props for solid design work, and taking criticism for what it is, especially at your age!

I read through the whole thread before checking out the site. When minute44 said green, I was thinking, nah.... jaded should be blue & black. On point. I must comment, however, that jaded is not really an appealing quality in a designer, or a person for that matter.

One thing to look into: not sure if it's my end or yours, but the main nav doesn't have any text. I started clicking just for fun, and the content changed!

Other things: Get a form for the contact page.

Sell yourself, don't sell yourself short.
    okay:
    I am a student trying to get a good reputation...
    better:
    I am building a diverse portfolio and want to reach out to a variety of clients...
    That being said, put a TIME LIMIT on hosting packages.

In talking about updates... TMI on Contribute. How will the fees differ from one method to another?

A page outlining your coding/design/software/skills would be good, it can be buried say, inside the portfolio page.

Edit the copy.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads