Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

hi, this is my first site: http://www.free-online-games-player.co.uk I've been working on it four weeks now and still have a lot to do... what do you think?
    I want to replace the flash with java on the front page so that it validates easier,
    i've started working on this here http://www.free-online-games-player.co.uk/index2.html but am having dificulties getting it to centre like the flash does.. any ideas?

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Everything seems centered to me, but as far as the design aspect; there really is no design. I would put it into columns using divs and go from there

Member #
    I agree with the above post, there is no design to this site. You might have spent four weeks working on the Flash (although I have no idea why...), but you certainly didn't spend more than two hours working on the layout.

Ditch the flash, javascript, and everything else that is WhizBang, and work on creating a functional site that serves a purpose. There are already enough worthless sites on the internet, don't add to it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskeeler
    I agree with the above post, there is no design to this site. You might have spent four weeks working on the Flash (although I have no idea why...), but you certainly didn't spend more than two hours working on the layout.

Ditch the flash, javascript, and everything else that is WhizBang, and work on creating a functional site that serves a purpose. There are already enough worthless sites on the internet, don't add to it.
    Agreed, who want's bells and whistles when they're attached to a turd?
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Hey guys calm down! Yes it's not a brilliant design and yes it doesn't serve much of a purpose but who can honestly say their first website did.

Maybe instead of outright insulting the site, give constructive criticism.

Anyway.....
    1. Consider designing the site in a design package such as photoshop. Currently the site seems a bit cluttered and their is no central point of focus.
    2. Maybe consider making the navigation stand out a bit more, stretch it across the page and make it have a different background colour so it's much more obvious what it is.
    3. Ditch the flash! Yes it's eye candy but it takes up most of the page, doesn't do much and is pretty much useless, sorry! And Java would be even worse than flash!
    4. Try to incorporate some columns or such to make the site more organised.
    5. Try to create a logo or some kind of branding so the user can link the logo to your design. Also try and make some images, some eye candy is good!

Member #
    Alright, maybe we were a bit harsh... but consider this guy's competition.

Miniclip.com
    candystand.com

And more...

At the moment I know where I'd rather go...

Member #
    Although my post may have been painful, it was not insulting. I was simply stating the truth and sometimes the truth can be painful.

Favorite Quote
    "You don't have to like a fact for it to be true." - Roy Johnson, circa 1998.

Member #
    I don't wanna start an argument over this but it's this guys first site, and I bet that it's the same as your first ever site. If you had someone make the comment you made when you was starting out, would you have carried on?

True, it's never going to compare with sites like miniclip.com but I don't think he ever thought it would. We all start somewhere and have to get a foot on the ladder and comments like yours help nobody. No wonder this industry has such a bad reputation.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dchesterton
    I don't wanna start an argument over this but it's this guys first site, and I bet that it's the same as your first ever site. If you had someone make the comment you made when you was starting out, would you have carried on?

True, it's never going to compare with sites like miniclip.com but I don't think he ever thought it would. We all start somewhere and have to get a foot on the ladder and comments like yours help nobody. No wonder this industry has such a bad reputation.
    Fair comment but...

Imagine if no one ever gave anyone's early work a bad slating... The person would come to believe that the bad practices that were not pointed out highlighted as such were in fact OK to continue using. This would mean that they were basing their entire skill set on bad information because no one ever told them otherwise. If a method or design or bit of code is bad, I believe that we, as a whole, should tell them it's bad from the start and save them any further trouble.

Member #
    i'm making changes....

hah.. have u seen that guys police site!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads