Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'd like to have constructive criticism of my site. I haven't begun work on v2, and probably won't have time until after the summer (too much work to redo a whole site). I'm going to start learning php sometime this summer and I'd like to use it with the new version of my site.
    So, tell me what you think.

Member #
    Well, there is a lot that needs to be done in v2 that is for sure.
    First, I did like the content........that is the best part of your site. Made me laugh, so it would be a site I'd revisit, but only on content.

As for the look, it is VERY outdated. This look reminds me of the old Windows 3.1 look, the gray bland backrounds and the plain text.
    Here are some things that stand out that could use some improvement:

1) Update your banner. The text is blurry and this is a very old looking banner. Maybe you upgrade it in Photoshop with some layers to make it pop and stand out a little more.
    2) Your nav bar, is just text. You may want to integrate buttons into the site at the same time giving the rest of the site some structure. Use divs/tables to break up some of the content, at least on the homepage.
    3) Get rid of ALL animated gifs on the site. They are clearly outdated and amatuerish......it is almost the worst thing you can put on a site.
    4) Get some color. Go with a white background and then integrate your color scheme (the one from the banner) or a new one and have the site stand out........along with this, it will update your look.

There are many things you want to do to give this a fresh, updated look..........and I would recommend doing it. Your site is entertaining, funny and with the right look you will get people coming back to visit it.
    Good luck......
    GMan

Member #
    Great a site that tells the few remaining nice people in the world how to be c**ts!! Just what we need.

You must be a really great guy, you don't have a chip on your shoulder... not even a little! lol

PS, the site looks like... well, put it this way. If web design is your chosen field I can tell why your so pi**ed off at the world!
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by minute44
    Great a site that tells the few remaining nice people in the world how to be c**ts!! Just what we need.

You must be a really great guy, you don't have a chip on your shoulder... not even a little! lol

PS, the site looks like... well, put it this way. If web design is your chosen field I can tell why your so pi**ed off at the world!
    Firstly, had you even bothered to read the site then you would notice that it's for entertainment purposes. You're comments are out of line and serve no purpose to the true intentions of this forum - which is to provide constructive feedback to make a site better. If you have a problem with a topic, then that's your business and you have free will not to visit it. And, who said I'm pissed off at the world? Yet another thing you have wrong. Also, where did you come up with I'm a "he?" Please get your facts straight before you go spouting off. You seem like the pissed off one, I'm just trying to make people laugh, if you don't enjoy it, then so what.

BTW, yet, a third thing you are wrong about, I never gave advice on how to be a "c**nt," so get your facts straight. BTW, how can you teach someone to be a "c**nt?" That doesn't even make sense. And, those "remaining nice people" have to be receptive to it, because no one is holding a gun to their head to take the advice given. As I say on my website, you make decisions for yourself and you should take responsibility for those decisions you make. Anything else you want to stupidly add?

Member #
    Thanks for the comments, planetgman. I'll go over a few things because this site was changed in the past to look how it looks now, but of course without the banner it looks much better.

1.) Yes, I'm strongly selling the site on content alone, lol, and surprisingly I've gotten a lot of repeat visitors and more questions than I would have initially thought to my adivce column. I'm working with limited resources. I don't know php, JavaScript, Java, or any other server-side language. So the site is done mostly with xhtml and css. The software I'm working with is software I got free from when I signed up with my web host.

2. As far as the bland background and text. Yes, I know the background is bland. I used a gray background until I can find the kind of background I'm looking for, something that's more festive with a lot of colors - I want to give my site a "fun" feel to it.. I saw the exact background I wanted in FrontPage, but I don't use FrontPage for creating websites.

3. The banner was something I recently created. I spent maybe an hour on creating it. I'll work on making a different one, maybe smaller, with clearer and crisp words. But the banner is the work of something I did quickly because I wanted a banner "right now." I don't have photoshop, and certainly can't afford it, so I'm using the image manipuation software my web host sent me for free - PhotoImpact8.

4. Now on to the colors. The second layout of my site featured every page with different color text; one page had a variation of green text, another a variation of orange, ect. Some people weren't receptive to having each page a different color, which eventually I agreed because I changed it. But, my purpose for having each page with different color text was to try to give it some kind of appeal since I didn't want images on all my pages. So, what I decided was to change the link color on every page instead of the content's text color. I agree, I do have to find a way to incorporate more color into the individual pages without overwhelming the visitors with it. A white background with green, orange, blue text, ect. will not be pleasing to read. So, I'll have to think of ways to put more color into my site. But, I'm more of a simplistic person, I don't like for things to really stand out, so I was going for that "pop of color" look for my site. Finding a way to get that look isn't going to be easy.

5. The images, well, people's opinions of the images vary. Some like the animated text, some don't. I happen to like animated gifs when there's not a lot on any given page. My index page could use fewer animated gifs I suppose - simply because they are annoying to some people, but when put sporadically on a page it could work.

6. As far as the navigation goes. I'm not a fan of using images for navigation. When I learn how to create drop down menus in CSS I'll probably go with a CSS drop-down for the navigation, but for now the text links will have to do. I'll probably get rid of the <hr> tags and add a border to it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by use <div> or tables to break up the text on the homepage. Will you give me an example of what you're talking about? I probably won't be able to start making changes until the end of this week when my classes are over with, but, sheesh, I'll only have two weeks to work on it. But, I'll start thinking of some changes now to make later.

And, thanks for your comments. This isn't a professional site it's just a site I created as a hobby, but any comments on what you think will make it better for you as a visitor is appreciated.

Member #
    Why do you have 2 links to the advice column and forums on the main page? I'm not a fan of the color changes for the navigation either. I agree with using a white background, rather than grey.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    No particular reason. Actually, I can't remember why I put there since it was a long time ago, but I did have a reason at the time, just can't remember it, lol. Now, maybe for space filler. I thought about putting it on the bottom of every page. I might try it to see how it looks, especially since it's not guaranteed that someone who visits my site from an external linik will go to the index page. I'm just trying to make those link stand out. Hmm, actually there are three links to those sites on the index page, lol, didn't realize that until now. Do you have a problem as a visitor with the two boxes of virtually the same links?

Member #
    Only that it is annoying, because I expect those links to go somewhere other than where I have already been from the links on the other side of the page.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Lol! that showed me...

Sorry if I seemed out of order, I must have been having a bad day yesterday or something. And as far as assuming you were a guy, that's also my bad. Sorry.

Now Critique time:

The good.

I guess, dispite my comments yesterday, your site is actually pretty funny so in that respect it serves it's purpose. THe layout is simple and the navigation is easy to find.

The bad.

• The XHTML on the home page doesn't validate. It's only got one error (a missing alt tag) but still, if your going to display the W3C logos you need to be on top of it.
    • It all looks a bit sparse, the white background isn't helping this situation but the main cause is the fact that you can see the different elements (navigation, banner, content etc..) are seperate. they don't look like they gel together to make a site.
    • Your banner looks a bit blurry like it has been compressed badly.
    • Those animated gifs do nothing but draw your eyes away form the main content.
    • Is that Times New Roman? tsk tsk....
    • 2 sets of links to the same three items. (need advice, message board and slam-o-scope) no need just put those in your main nav.
    My advice.
    • I see you have a basic understanding of XHTML and CSS, I'll give you credit for that. What you need to do is expand on those skills and get a decent layout working for you.
    • Stay away from using images unless it is absolutely necessary. Especially if they are animated gifs. They are a no win situation. Low quality ones look crap and high quality ones are rediculous file sizes.
    • Only use the small W3C icons if you insist on using them at all, what I do is just put [Valid XHTML] [Valid CSS] as links in my footer.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    It sounds like you are on top of it and you have some idea of direction you want to take..........and that is good.
    I have seen other comments on it, and you yourself have said you like animated gifts. I think it is a mistake to keep using them and most visitors won't like them, despite the fact that you do.
    With that said, if you insist on using them, either create some new ones yourself (Ulead Gif Animator) or at least use ones that are current and updated looking.

Good luck.....
    GMan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads