Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    1.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I am creating a photography portfolio for myself, so far I've got the splash page done, but thats all. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks

Member #
    Not bad. It's only a splash page though so can't really say much more than that. However, I'm not really feeling the main photo of the wedding cake. In my personal opinion it just doesn't grab me and make me want to enter the rest of your site... unless of course you are a wedding photographer, then disregard. Re-post when you have a little more to see. Good luck.

Member #
    Presumably you've chosen to use the cake photograph as the lead image because you think it's your best. In which case my advise to you is, you need to find someone to train with. I don't know how old you are, but if you're fairly young then try and get a job as an assistant so that you can learn you're craft, or go for a college course. If photography is not your primary chosen career, but just an adjunct, to web design, then I would suggest you employ the services of a professional. Because frankly, I'm sorry to say your work wouldn't rate well, even against a talented amateur.
    End of Line.

Member #
    The only criticism i have is regarding your background image. although i think the layout and the idea is good, i would firstly make the entire image a bit smaller and secondly, the background image doesn't load quick enough. It's is 288kb and that is just rediculous to have that as a img size on a website.

Either reduce the overall img of the site, or reduce the quality of the background image so that it loads quicker. normally for web based images you can reduced the quality of the image to about 80% and it would still look great.

Good luck on developing the rest of your site though...
    Tip #44: never pee into the wind...
    www.jenerate.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkette
    Presumably you've chosen to use the cake photograph as the lead image because you think it's your best. In which case my advise to you is, you need to find someone to train with. I don't know how old you are, but if you're fairly young then try and get a job as an assistant so that you can learn you're craft, or go for a college course. If photography is not your primary chosen career, but just an adjunct, to web design, then I would suggest you employ the services of a professional. Because frankly, I'm sorry to say your work wouldn't rate well, even against a talented amateur.
    This is quite a sharp comment to make based off an assumption. Apparently you do not like the picture that is on top, which is no reason to judge my entire photographic ability based off of that one picture. This was a post asking about the website, despite the fact that the photograph is included in the website; you do not have the right nor the privilege to judge my abilities as "sub-par." This thread is in response to the design, not my photographic ability. Next time you make a comment as critical as this, at least have the courtesy to not base it upon a single photograph. I do thank you for your input, however your way of going about this was rude and just wrong.
    Next time you see a "How's my site?" post, you should actually talk about the site. Hence the name, "How's my site?"

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Not bad. It's only a splash page though so can't really say much more than that. However, I'm not really feeling the main photo of the wedding cake. In my personal opinion it just doesn't grab me and make me want to enter the rest of your site... unless of course you are a wedding photographer, then disregard. Re-post when you have a little more to see. Good luck.
    Thanks for your input, I'll change that.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by squishiful
    This is quite a sharp comment
    I'm sorry you feel like that, my comments weren't meant to be hurtful; I was trying to be constructive and supportive. True I have only seen the one photograph, but as it was your lead image, I felt that was significant. I have been a professional photographer for thirty three years and have lectured at several universities both in the UK and the USA. I have also helped several young aspiring photogaphers to make a career for themselves. I wish you every success in your chosen field.
    End of Line.

Member #
    Bottom line is that if you put your website up in hear for criticism, you can't get all worked up about what people say about your work, regardless of whether it is photography, pottery, or any other craft or field that you work in.

Tkae the criticism constructively and accept it, eveyone has their own opinion and you don't necessarily have to listen to it, at the end of it all you make the decision.

Criticism is there to help you, not to knock you down, and if people are saying criticising you on something, often it's because they have experience in the field and you should at least be open to listening to it.
    Tip #44: never pee into the wind...
    www.jenerate.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkette
    I'm sorry you feel like that, my comments weren't meant to be hurtful; I was trying to be constructive and supportive. True I have only seen the one photograph, but as it was your lead image, I felt that was significant. I have been a professional photographer for thirty three years and have lectured at several universities both in the UK and the USA. I have also helped several young aspiring photogaphers to make a career for themselves. I wish you every success in your chosen field.
    Thanks
    You've been a photographer for 30 years? Wow, I'd like to see some of your work, can you send me a link to a portfolio or something? Thanks

Remove Ads