Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've been programming in C/C++ for a while now, but I've never had the opportunity to do any web programming. Anyway, I thought I'd work on a new website for game programmers, which I called gamevoxel.com.

I started working on gamevoxel.com a couple of weeks ago. A lot of my time was spent on learning CSS and php. The transition to php from C++ was actually pretty easy. I was able to code a login system and a few other things in php. I have a lot more ambitious plans, but I was wondering if I'm going in the right track. Should I keep going with this or should I make some substantial changes to the organization and design of the website?

Any feedback is appreciated. Keep in my that the site has very little content as of now. Thanks

PS: Currently, only the main page, members page, registration and contact us pages work.

Member #
    The Good
    I like the feel of the site. It's very modern. The lack of colors works well on the site.

The Bad
    While I like the color scheme, it would be better with SOME color. I'd suggest using some very desaturated warm tones and cool tones to help delineate things.

Do you need 3 columns? I'm thinking that with the lack of content on the site, a nice 2 column layout might be better.

If you're going to use 3 columns, make all 3 the same height. I hate the "T" shape of the site currently.

Once that's fixed, take a look at the rounded edges of the columns and fix them so that the site as a whole has rounded corners.

Your mouse-overs are not contrasting enough with the regular text. I couldn't tell when I was actually hovering over a link.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskeeler
    Your mouse-overs are not contrasting enough with the regular text. I couldn't tell when I was actually hovering over a link.
    And remember that you don't just have to change the color when someone mouses over the item. You can change other things, too, like borders, underline status, boldness, etc. Experiment a little and see what works.

Also, keep in mind that it's always a good idea for links to be obviously initially, as well as when you hover over them. Underlines are the standard way of delineating them, but if you can come up with another way that makes it obvious they are links, go for it.

Finally, keep in mind that certain pseudoclasses, like :before, can give you some power, as well.

Last thing: Unordered lists do not require line breaks (<br>). Moreover, if you really want to achieve what CSS is meant to achieve -- leaving XHTML for the structure of the site and CSS for the appearance -- you should just about never have <br> tags in your code.

Okay, maybe that wasn't the last thing :-) I'm being nitpicky today, it seems. You declared your doctype to be HTML 4.01 Strict; for this, you don't need to give standalone tags the closing tag shortcut (i.e., `input' doesn't need the `/>' at the end, just `>'). If you want to switch to XHTML (which, at a glance, it looks like you could), you'll want to make sure you put those self-closings everywhere, including <br>.

*Now* I think I'm on the last thing: though the @import statement works fine to import a CSS stylesheet, the more appropriate way to do it is a link tag:
    Code:
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="scripts/design.css" />
    And, as a parting comment, the `keywords' meta tag tends to be unused by modern search engines, if I remember correctly, so it might just not be useful. I may very well be wrong on that one, though.

Remove Ads