Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey everybody,

Can I get some feedback on this new site I've been working on?

http://www.bvemusic.com/

It's for a musician. He just wanted something relatively simple that would tell people a little bit about himself, let them know where he's playing, listen to short clips from his album (this part is coming), and buy his CD. The e-commerce portion isn't complicated, it just links right to his paypal account.

Anyhow, just wondering what everything thought?

Thanks,
    Mike
    michael murphy
    Professional Web Development
    http://www.letsgomurphys.com/

Member #
    What I really like about the site is it is very nice clean colours.
    The front page (first page) once clicking on one of the links, I am not able to get back to the page unless I press the back button on the browser.
    It would be good if the front page also had a thumb of the album cover like in the Buy section.
    It might be good to have the next tour date on the front page.
    The main part missing for me is a picture of the musician, even if it is just on the about page, it would be nice to see who the person is behind the music.
    I really like the site, bright and fresh.

Member #
    I think more pictures would liven it up a bit, there's a lot of white space on most of the pages. Other than that I like the colour scheme and the nice and simple feel.
    Currently using: Firefox 1.5, IE 7, Notepad, Ms Paint, GIMP

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Agree with above that a picture of the musician would be nice ... nowhere on the site is there one.

And yes a thumbnail on the homepage for the album cover and a quick link to where you buy it would help too.

As for your code ... css layout ... nice but ... a table for the menu!?? Look into making that a list. Get rid of the onmouseover and see this tutorial - Fast Rollovers Without Preload
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    As for your code ... css layout ... nice but ... a table for the menu!?? Look into making that a list. Get rid of the onmouseover and see this tutorial - Fast Rollovers Without Preload
    Yeah, I know better than that. We were under a crunch to get it done in time for his CD release. List menus have always been my weakness so I'll have to check out your tutorial.

As far as the pictures and white space go, we plan on sprucing things up over the next few months. The front page will have some banners advertising his CD, gigs, and appearances and somewhere in there will be a mini-jukebox (flash probably) that plays song samples.

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice!

-Mike
    michael murphy
    Professional Web Development
    http://www.letsgomurphys.com/

Member #
    I like it -- Very clean style and color combination.

I would look into the no preload rollovers as mentioned by Karinne.

Also, what are you going to do with the big gap on the right hand side?

Lastly, I checked out the site in Firefox, Opera, and the dreaded Internet Explorer, and Internet Explorer. Displayed fine in Firefox, and Opera, but Internet Explorer didn't like the transparencies.

Member #
    Very nice... I like the colours, the layout and the overall feel of the site.

However, one thing troubles me...Well actually two things trouble me but one of them is the table for your navigation so it's been dealt with already.

The site, however nice it looks does not suit it's subject. When I think of a Jazz saxophonist I don't think blue grey background with "Punch in the face" green. I think more of darker colours like perhaps the decor at a jazz club...

This however IS only personal preference and I don't expect you to make a change based on this alone.

However. I'm going to PM once a day until you make that navigation into a CSS Styled list!!
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    The Good
    The color scheme is great. I like the mouse-overs. Content is direct and to the point. Your XHTML almost validated (just one small error).

The Bad
    Your nav menu is centered but the content is not... Either fill that void at the right with some graphics or center that content div.

There's almost no content on the Home page... A quick biography of the artist, a description of the latest album, praises from critics, some album art, and maybe even a short audio clip would all be VERY welcome on this page.

Although those mouse-overs are great, I agree with Karinne that they should be CSS.

Member #
    OK you have a music site. Do you think when people arrive at your site they are at a funky jazzy music site? I dont think so.
    Think about what best represents Jazz.. im think sombre blues, some black and even some nice morones. Your site has no imagery - add imagery to make it interesting and more inviting - its looking a bit bland.
    And your rollovers, they are tacky, dont use an effect because you think its cool. Use an effect if its appropriate and helps emphasise the sites theme and mood.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    While I tend to agree that the green isn't exactly `jazzy', I personally think the rollovers look quite nice. You might want to look at doing CSS rollovers so you don't deal with a preloading delay, however. And yes, the right definitely stands out as empty. I'd definitely consider putting an image -- maybe the aforementioned picture of the artist -- there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads