Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey guys.

Go ahead and critique this for me.

Issues I already know of and are working on:
    • CSS Validation problem 1 error I think...?
    • We have purchased a real domain. It will be minutedesigns.com but hosts are a little slow in getting it sorted for us.
    • Pink and green styles are a little too similar ATM but I am working on making the green into a lighter version of the pink
    If you spot anything else then let me know.

THanks...
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You are working on them or you is working on them? :-P
    < switches off grammar nazi mode >

That said, it looks pretty awesome. My only complaint is that the green in the green style is a little too bright. It hurts my eyes a little (literally, not in a `that looks horrible' kind of way). Other than that, great!

Member #
    Disclaimer: You are a good web designer and therefore will be held to a higher standard. Also... You asked for it.

The Good
    Cleanest code I've seen in a long time. Kudos. Pink and black color scheme is bold and contrasts nicely.

The Bad
    Pink Design - That logo is terrible. It looks like you spent a week working on the layout and code, but only 15 minutes on the logo.

There needs to be better delineation between the content area and the background. Right now it blends into the background. How about a 1px border around the entire container. You pick the color, just give me something that helps draw the eye to the content and not let me wander aimlessly.

I'm not feeling the fonts on this design. The headers are too much like the content fonts. Try making the headers a serif font or adding some italics.

Green Design - Give me a bottom border. You have one on the sides, but not the bottom.

Same logo problems. Same font problems.

The bright green on a white background is hard to read, therefore your links are hard to read. Try another shade of green.

Emo Design - Finally, a logo that doesn't suck and header fonts that work.

On the topic of that logo, it's a little morbid for a website designer. It looks like a white rose with blood sprinkled on it. Not what I would call a thematic logo (at least I hope not).

As for the fonts, the header fonts are great, but the color of the links is such that I can't tell what is a link and what isn't. The dark red looks almost identical to the black text.

You have borders that are completely useless on this design. Ditch them.

There's too much white space between the headers and the content. Tighten this up.

FYI, there are two golden rules for web design: Keep It Stupidly Simple (KISS), and Content is King.

You need to tighten up your copy. For example, this was taken from the "About Us" page:
    We feel that we can't tar all clients with the same brush, everyone is different. So we price up jobs on asking to give you the best value and make sure you don't get charged for something you don't want or need.
    Try this instead:
    "We feel that all clients are different and prefer to charge based on your particular need. With MinuteDesigns, there are never any hidden costs, extraneous expenses, or padded fees. You get what you want, when you want it, and at the agreed price. No hassles, guaranteed."

Of course, any part of that which doesn't fit your business model should be changed or omitted.

Member #
    Not much to cover after seeker's review.
    I did think it was a bit funny about working on the code for a week and 15 minutes on the logo.

He is right, you are one of the better designers on here therefore expectations from you are a bit higher.
    Good luck with the new site.......
    GMan

Member #
    Wow, thanks James. I didn't realise I was held to such high acclaim on here... oooh, that puts the pressure on lol!!!!

Well, you hit the nail right on the head with the logo. It did only take me about 15 minutes....rofl! I was planning to change it anyway.

Believe it or not there is a border around the whole container on the pink theme. I am working on a TFT monitor that displays colours more brightly. It wasn't until I looked at it on a CRT last night that I realised the problem. That will be addressed this week.

I am in the middle of totally changing the green theme so Scratch any issues raised about that one... I think V2.0 of green will rock your socks!

I agree about all your points except one. This is personal taste though, I feel. THe dark red borders on the emo theme. I like them and more importantly so does my partner in this venture. I say more importantly because he's provided the FOC domain name and hosting for me...

I know that the Emo theme is a little morbid but consider this....

I trust you looked at the portfolio page.... yeah, empty. That's because as of yet MinuteDesigns hasn't had any real clients... I included the style switcher mainly as an accessibility tool in the long term but in the short term it is there as a means of showing off skills and different colour schemes while the portfolio is built up.

I must be doing something right. On another forum I'm a member of, I've just had a PM off a designer that wants to work for me. lol

Keep it coming guys cheers!

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Let us know when the new green theme is ready :-)

Member #
    Own domain up and running.

www.minutedesigns.com

Updated all themes. New version of green theme.

Please critique.

I still have a problem with validation on my CSS, I know about this and am working on it. PLease don't bust my chops about that.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    wow that looks really good minus the green design and the logos. The graphic at the top of the emo theme is really good. All of the layouts are nice and clean...good work

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniti
    wow that looks really good minus the green design and the logos. The graphic at the top of the emo theme is really good. All of the layouts are nice and clean...good work
    You don't like the green theme? is it the most recent version.?.. ie. the one with rounded tabs for the navigation. do a refresh and get back to me....

If so, tell me what you don't like about it so I can improve it.

Member #
    The green theme is MUCH better now. Now I want to see the tab effect added to the pink theme and maybe even to the emo theme.

One suggestion: keep the text white in the tabs. There's enough contrast with the white on green that it will work and it will add to the effect if the text stays one color.

PS. why not create another theme in the same vein as that orange page that you posted on here a few months ago? I LOVED that page. The colors were fabulous, the graphic was perfectly thematic for a company named MinuteDesigns, and the feel was exactly what I would expect from a web designer. Somehow, you have made a 180 degree turn from that design with this set of ideas. I'd really like to see you return to that bright, crisp design. Give me something warm and welcoming, not dark and morbid.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads