Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.7 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.3 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.3 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Looking for opinions on overall functionality, navigation usability and whatever else.
    Edit: Kayaking and Mountain Biking have some subpages... content still has a way to go.

http://www.thewanderer.us
    Practice what you preach!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    At a glance, I'd advise putting something on your links at the top of the page that makes it clear that they're links (underlines usually do the trick). Right now, it could just as easily be a list of things the site is about without any links anywhere.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Im not sure if i like it or not, but it doesnt really make me want to go there for some reason. Maybe its not proffessional enough, idk.

Member #
    Nice web site!
    1. I'm using FireFox on Linux and the Title 'The Wanderer' looks fuzzy;
    2. The fonts on the menu on the left are a bit large for my taste;
    3. The background on the menu on the left seems too repetitive;
    4. If I click something in the menu, then some yellow stripes appear. I find them both disruptive and not useful;
    Cratima helps you build your company website.
    Visit us: www.cratima.com
    International Web Design

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, also, it would be nice to have some indication as to which page one is currently on. I think there are enough items in your menu where that would be justified :-)

Member #
    The Good
    I'm a fan of oranges and browns--nice Earthy tones--so I like the colors used on the site.

Nice code. Very clean and easy to read. Good implementation of XHTML and CSS.

The photos on the site are very professional looking.

The Bad
    The site's too busy: textured borders, textured page background, textured buttons, the ragged-edge border of the content div, etc... The site is just too busy. Look at the Great Smoky Mountains website (more on this later) and notice how subdued their website is. Understatement is key to a professional look and feel. Here's my suggestion, get rid of the page background and the textured borders, I'd also lose the border made of pictures (it's a main culprit in the busyness), and then I'd revert to simple colors for division of the elements. You also need to add some color to the logo and spruce the font a little, something like: theWANDERER with different fonts, colors, effects, or something else. Just liven it up.

You have duplicated links between the nav on the left and the nav at the top. The top links are pointless. I'd rather see them at the bottom along with some useful links such as Home, About, Site Map, Search, etc... That way the user doesn't have to scroll all the way to the top to move around the site.

And... If I've scrolled all the way to the top of the page, why use the top nav instead of the side nav? That brings up the next point: your site nav should be consistent. It's very confusing to a visitor to find a link on a nav panel, click on it, and have that link disappear. If you want page dependent nav, add child nodes to your nav list, but keep the "meat" of the nav consistent and persistent.

You need to embolden your headers. Use a different font and add some color to the background and/or borders. Be creative.

The yellow spacers in the main nav is improperly used. Yellow is an attention-getter. Therefore, you are drawing attention to the blank areas of your nav. That's why Cratima was complaining. Stay within the color scheme, but use a color darker than any other used in the nav menu.

Your site seems dedicated to adventures in the states of Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky, but you have a link to the Great Smoky Mountains which is in Tennessee. Another oddity is that it is an external link with no indication of such. I clicked on the link expecting to stay within your site and see information on GSM attractions, but I was shot over to the GSM homepage. It was confusing and surprising.

One last thing: your page is destroyed when printed. Spend some time fixing the printability of the site.

Member #
    Isn't it funny how any posts that rock the boat are magically deleted and no one seems to ever notice....

Please moderators: Don't become all "gestapo" on me...

If something's being done can I be kept in the loop please?

Quote Originally Posted by jameskeeler
    The Good
    I'm a fan of oranges and browns--nice Earthy tones
    Yeah, I've gathered....
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Minute44, my love of Earthy colors is not limited to oranges and browns, but also encompasses deep blues, greens, burgundys and siennas, and dark yellows. I feel that God is the greastest of all artists and that use of His color palettes yields the most beautiful results.

Member #
    Thanks for the detailed critique James.
    Believe it or not, I'm not a big fan of all the textures either, but I got just the opposite complaints when I had the site very simple. Everyone said to "funk" it up and add more crap... so I did and now it's too busy. Appears to not matter what I do in the grand scheme of things whatever happens with the theme, some people will like it others will hate it. Apparently most people hate the site. I'll probably ditch the entire layout and go ultra simple with no colors, no nothing and be done with it. Just links and content, no funk whatsoever.
    I'm not sure what to do with the navigation yet. I've received several complaints. Without placing sublinks elsewhere, the navigation is going to get extremely long eventually and be unusable and people will complain about that next. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
    The site is dedicated to adventures in AND AROUND the tri-state area. Smokies are very much within reach of here and is a place well traveled to by people around here.
    The Wanderer logo is just text right now, I've been pondering logo's and haven't thought of what I want yet.
    Practice what you preach!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by minute44
    Isn't it funny how any posts that rock the boat are magically deleted and no one seems to ever notice....

Please moderators: Don't become all "gestapo" on me...

If something's being done can I be kept in the loop please?

Yeah, I've gathered....
    I reviewed your deleted posts just now and the moderators took the appropriate actions (if anything they were lenient). Please note two relevant forum rules: you cannot challenge moderator decisions publicly, nor can you make posts that harrass or slander another user. Do not do this again.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads