Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I am in the process of reworking my site and getting it more exposed so I thought this would be a great place for some feedback as well as an introduction.

Here is my site (Fluid-logic.com ) let me know if you have any thoughts and or suggestions. I tried to make it just straightforward and geared towards applying for jobs.

One of the things that I am working on redoing is the portfolio section since it is bland right now. I would really appreciate and criticism etc on the site so that I can improve it and such. I think that some of the content needs polishing too.

Kind Regards
    Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmm... Well, it seems like there just isn't enough room for your content. Text, when it is present, is a little too small, and it's always apparent that the header is there -- so much so that the content loses, in my opinion. This is particularly true on the home page and the portfolio page (which I realize you said you were going to change). Also, you switch the header on the portfolio page, which is somewhat confusing.

Also, it seems like the menu buttons could give feedback on hover and on which area you are currently in. The little strip above the items could be particularly useful for that.

Finally, you're using tables for layouts, which is generally considered to be Bad (tm), but it looks like it might be a little too late to change that :-)

Member #
    Thanks for your response. I will look to create the site in strait CSS based site in the near future I was actually considering it for this version but it didn't make the cut.

As far as the header is concerned I do see your point in it being a bit over powering. While I am not overly concerned about that on the homepage I do see your point on the interior pages. One of the main reasons for the large header is to give people a large easily visible place to click to go to the portfolio section (that is also why the header is different on the portfolio section). I might look to come up with a different concept to better illustrate that.

I will also look to implement your advice on the buttons with both hover and on page states. I think that would be easy enough to achieve . Thanks for your comments and I hope to be posting an update soon.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Actually, interesting thing about the header -- I didn't notice the portfolio button on the header until after I'd been to every other page on the site :-P That's probably because the first place I looked was your navigation to see what pages were available.

Member #
    LOL that is too funny my plan back-fired. Well that is why it is always good to run it by people to see what they come up with. I think that I might do some animation to draw emphasis to it on the homepage and ditch it on the interior pages.

Member #
    I wouldn't use the @yahoo address either. Your host should offer e-mail accounts through your domain (ex. @fluid-logic.com). I really like the colors. I also think that the header from the portfolio page would work on all of the pages, then you could make the text larger and more readable.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thanks Chris

I think that is what I will do for right now with the header. I am also working to adress the small font issues. I should be doing some work on the site over the next week so I will post here when to take another look . I also agree about the email and I am changing that now.

Member #
    I'm not sure about this site. some areas I really like but others just make me think...Hmm, this guy lacks experience.

Anyway:

The good.
    • Good vibrant colours with a nice, but not too intrusive, flash movie to set the page off.
    The Bad.
    • Tut, tut.... A professional like yourself using an old out dated tables based layout...
    • Your main nav is entirely images so it's not very accessible. I suggest a CSS list with background images and link text in TEXT.
    6/10
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Thanks for your input. Yeah I am regretting not putting the site up in strait CSS. I had thought about the CSS based rollovers but the main deterrent was that due to the fact that the backgrounds are all different so there is really not a load reason to do that. I understand your point about the accessibility of it and maybe when I do convert the site to all CSS I might make the switch.

Member #
    Disclaimer: You're advertising yourself as an award-winning web designer, therefore you will be held to a higher standard.

The Good
    I like the blue color scheme; even the fade in the background is pleasing.

Your resume is well designed and serves its purpose nicely.

The Bad
    <rant>The noise from the flash movie is obnoxious and intrusive. I had my speakers turned up listening to music, opened the site in a new tab, and nearly had a heart attack when the wave crashing sound came through the speakers. I hate flash movies and hate movies with sound even more. They autoload and autoplay and auto-irritate the living hell out of me.
    </rant>

Why are the nav links all a different color? It looks very unfinished. Like walking into someone's house when they're trying to decide on a color of paint and they've little areas of the wall that are different colors.

I said I liked the blue color scheme--and I do--but some of your colors are not harmonious, e.g. the nav links, the content background, and the background for the briefcase in the banner. Those colors are too red; in fact, they're borderline purple. Purples and blues don't play well together. I'd suggest making those particular elements shades and tints of the blue in the Fuid-Logic logo.

There is a link in the top banner for the portfolio, one in the main nav, and you have thumbnails of the various sites from the portfolio at the bottom left, all on the home page. Enough already...

The graphic of the man in a yoga position at the bottom of the home page is not positioned correctly in FF.

And now... My biggest gripe of all. What are these awards, who awards them, and where's the proof that you actually won them? I think I'll create a couple of bogus awards and advertise them on my websites as well. While these awards might be legit, without any link to the actual award the visitor is left wondering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads