Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

http://yaxnet.com/beta/

Yet again, I decided to update the design on my website.

I decided to go the 'transparent' route I guess you could say and made the site up with PNG24 images. After a little research I got Internet Explorer to display the transparencies properly for the most part in a sence that they don't have that big ugly box behind them and the transparency is clean... Also, a few other little things to make the positioning work properly in internet explorer...

Anyway, that's not the point...

I tested the layout in Firefox 1.5, Opera 8, Internet Explorer 6, then lastly, Internet Explorer 5.5...

Internet Explorer 6 worked just fine in displaying the content as I wanted it to... Explorer 5.5, however has some huge gap on the top of the content area that looks like crap, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. It's got to be something simple, or maybe it's just ie 5.5 not displaying the CSS/xhtml properly. I dunno. What confuses me is that ie 6 displays the site fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, please note: none of the links work. I'm trying to get this issue fixed before continuing the update to the rest of the site.

Thanks!

Member #
    I don't have IE5.5 to be able to see the problem and don't have the time to help troubleshoot the issue even if I did, but... I did notice one issue: the links below the content box vanish on hover. The colors are way too similar. Try red hovers.

Member #
    I'm using beta IE 7.0.5 and looks good from here.
    Have a review of your site when you get the content on there.
    It is difficult to review a portfolio site with no portfolio.

On the homepage however, I would change the coloring of your site.
    I like the grass macro, but then the blue confuses me from a design standpoint. With the button and logo.
    Wouldn't you want to incorporate either green into the logo or blue into the design?
    Plus, I am assuming that either you took the photo or it has something to do with your business somehow?

Also, because you are a "web development company", you may want to have the link "Web Development" on one line and not broken up into two lines.

Also, I don't think you need to point out that people can use the navigation at the top and bottom of the page.......they will know how to nav.
    With that, you can't see your copyright, as it gets washed out.

If you were looking to add some text where you are telling people how to nav the site, then put a confirmation of your customer comittment, philosophy, or your business pledge.

First page needs to tell a quick story of what they can expect. You told them who you are and what you do, now to them WHAT they can expect.

Repost when you get more completed......and good luck.
    GMan

Member #
    I suppose I should have noted in the original post that I am not done with the content. on the page.

I was just curious if anybody would be able to find out what the issue was with ie5.5.

As for the background -- I just threw something online in order to have something behind it, so I could test the transparency of the images.

Thanks for the reviews, though... I have the portfolio and the majority of the content ready, but I just have not applied it to the 'new' 'beta' site.

Member #
    The backgound is just too loud IMO, it just keeps drawing my eyes away from the content, not what you want.

I think if you based a theme on grass colours that would look cool.

For example: http://www.advice-landforsale.co.uk/

That's a nice site.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have to agree with minute...that background is VERY BRIGHT!

As far as the design goes I don't think you want your logo and company name to be transparent on your site. I know that it becomes solid on mouseover, but it doesn't pop off the site like it should.

The alt navigation is barely legible in normal state and mouseover...especially the portfolio link. I agree with the comments above that a darker color would be recommended.

One thing I see is a ton of empty space. I generally like to use at least the screen size when doing a site. Basically, use the most vertical and horizontal space without having scrollbars. I like where you're going with the idea...a few tweaks and adjustments and you should be golden.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No need to repeatedly point out problems with his background or how his links don't interact with it very well, considering that:
    Quote Originally Posted by all4sma
    As for the background -- I just threw something online in order to have something behind it, so I could test the transparency of the images.

Member #
    Okay, I changed the background image.

When the site is ready for review, I will post. However, for now all I am interested in is trying to figure out why it is that ie5.5 has such an issue when displaying my site.

I've taken some screenshots to give an idea of what's wrong. Every browser except ie 5.5 looks fine:

Firefox: http://yaxnet.com/beta/images/ynet-ff.jpg
    Opera: http://yaxnet.com/beta/images/ynet-opera.jpg
    IE 6: http://yaxnet.com/beta/images/ynet-ie6.jpg
    IE 5.5: http://yaxnet.com/beta/images/ynet-ie55b2.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have you checked if it gets better if you make your content area slightly wider?

Member #
    That looks quite a bit better than the grass.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads