Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.8 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.8 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey guys and gals,

I've finally got my butt going on this site. It's my web design portfolio. It's a bit late here (11:45PM EST)... not sure what the heck I'm still doing up but I had to finish it! I'm really proud of it ... I've been working on the banner and menu in Photoshop for like a month now and just couldn't figure out to get the content part organized. I like it now ... I think it's nice and simple. IMO anyways

So ... please check it out. Let me know if anything should be changed. Especially the text ... I really s**k at blurbs and stuff like that.

Ok ... enough ramblings ... I'm going to bed :alien:

Thanks!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    I like it. The colors look great, the layout is nice. Well done!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Well, first of all I am glad you are finally back up and running (since you were lost in cyberspace when your servers fried).
    So..........well, first I have to say that I disagree with Chris on the color thing.
    I think the colors are just ok. I can't pinpoint it, but the colors just seem kind of "dry". No pop to it, just kinda bland.

The banner is nice and I love the nav. Easy to read, easy to nav........can't be easier.

I am always a big fan of the cut graphics (a slice of the entire design) and it always gets people to click on it and see what the full graphic is.........so I think you have done a good job with that.

I think it is an effective tool when you have an item in your portfolio and then you give a bit of detail on what it is you customized or developed.

The other thing I'd look at is SEO. When I first read on your services page and the first thing being helping with a marketing plan........I thought that would include SEO, keywords, metas, etc.......
    So, I checked to see if you had any and saw nothing.........but then went back and re-read the section and saw that it was more of "I will market your company with a website" type marketing plan.

Your portfolio you've showcased (I know you have lots more) is a good mix and there is some cool work in there.
    I'd give this an 8 out of 10. I'd give you another point or two, but I'm not a fan of the colors.
    Good code, clean design, good content (with more coming), easy to nav........all of the main stuff you hit.
    Good luck......
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    Good code, clean design, good content (with more coming), easy to nav........all of the main stuff you hit.
    I'll add `graceful degradataion' to the list of things done well :-)

I have to say every time I see one of your portfolio snapshots (the images that are part of the design, I mean), I try and click it and find my mouse doing nothing. Dunno if I'm used to that behavior because of other portfolios or what.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    I like it. The colors look great, the layout is nice. Well done!
    Thanks Chris!

Well, first of all I am glad you are finally back up and running (since you were lost in cyberspace when your servers fried).
    :laugh: yeah ... that was quite the pain in the -- :laugh: Thank you! :alien:

So..........well, first I have to say that I disagree with Chris on the color thing.
    I think the colors are just ok. I can't pinpoint it, but the colors just seem kind of "dry". No pop to it, just kinda bland.
    I'm not really sure how much more color I want in there. If you think of something, let me know ... I'm thinking maybe it's the sidebar (that little grey box?)?

The banner is nice and I love the nav. Easy to read, easy to nav........can't be easier.

I am always a big fan of the cut graphics (a slice of the entire design) and it always gets people to click on it and see what the full graphic is.........so I think you have done a good job with that.

I think it is an effective tool when you have an item in your portfolio and then you give a bit of detail on what it is you customized or developed.
    Perfect! Thanks!

The other thing I'd look at is SEO. When I first read on your services page and the first thing being helping with a marketing plan........I thought that would include SEO, keywords, metas, etc.......
    So, I checked to see if you had any and saw nothing.........but then went back and re-read the section and saw that it was more of "I will market your company with a website" type marketing plan.
    Should I maybe change that title then?

Your portfolio you've showcased (I know you have lots more) is a good mix and there is some cool work in there.
    I'd give this an 8 out of 10. I'd give you another point or two, but I'm not a fan of the colors.
    Good luck......
    Thanks P!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    I'll add `graceful degradataion' to the list of things done well :-)
    Pardon my ignorance but ... what does "graceful degradataion" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    I have to say every time I see one of your portfolio snapshots (the images that are part of the design, I mean), I try and click it and find my mouse doing nothing. Dunno if I'm used to that behavior because of other portfolios or what.
    Hmmm ... yeah ... I was thinking about that when I finished it and thought I had to do something but it was gettin' late :laugh:

At first I thought of creating a page for each and have a bigger description than what I have now like some site have or just link directly to the site in question? One is alot of work (IMO) and the other one is quite easy to do.

So ... I guess my question is: Do you guys like it when you're on a portfolio site and when you see a thumbnail of the it get you straight to the site in question or to another page withing the portfolio site that has description of the client and then a link to the site in question?

Thanks for the comments!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    While I know frames/iframes are t3h horror, I think this might be an excellent place to use them; i.e., create the extra page with details and put the site itself below it (be it in an iframe or an actual frame or whatever).

Aside from that... To be honest, I like going straight to the site :-)

Alternatively, you could use anchors to switch to your portfolio page, scrolling to the relevant entry there, and have the links there.

Member #
    Yeah, I like it too. There are one or two things I would have done differently but these are by no means problems, just matters of opinion.
    • Your navigation is rather large. I'd say too large. I'm viewing it on 1280x1024 as well so I can only imagine how it would look on 800x600!
    • Your gradient on your grey bar in your header is a bit severe. Smooth it out a bit to give more of a shadowed effect rather than the top beveled effect you have now...
    • There's some visible compression around the edges of your name that could be ironed out by bumping up the quality on the jpg a few points..
    • The featured 'folio sites on your home page could have a border colour change on hover. I know they're not links atm but I assume they will be..?
    Clever how you've thwarted the spammers by using [at] and [dot] I like that... nice touch. Bit of an issue for text readers though... Always thinking about accessibility.

Code is lovely and clean. No probs there. In fact according to TAW you're onlu 1 priority two error away from passing on WAI WCAG AAA!!!!!!!!

I give you 9/10
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, right, I totally didn't answer your question on graceful degradation, sorry :-)

I generally use graceful degradation to mean one of several things:
    • I get to the page, see it looks fantabulistic (like yours :-)), hit View->PageStyle->No Style... And can still read everything.
    • I get to the page, see awesomeness happening everywhere through clever use of uber-cool JavaScript, uncheck Tools->Options->Content->Enable Javascript... And the website still runs fine, though not as spiffily.

Yours fits my former definition :-) I try and develop all my sites to fit both.

Here's the Wikipedia page on it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, something I just noticed: on the Services page, I think the `I can do for you' heading should be either `Things I can do for you', or `I can do' with content changes to match. That is to say, either it should indicate that a list comes afterwards, or the things that come afterwards should complete a sentence you started. In this case, it reads a little more fragmented.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads