Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

this is my first shot at making a website with no tables. Its also the first time I've made a website that validates. The last first is it is the first time I've made a website for a client. Anyway, I was wondering what you thought of the design/code. Also in IE, there is a white space between the logo and navigation and I can't get rid of it.

Edit: I know the forum is a mess, I had to reinstall it, and I lost my modifiacations to the overall_header file, it should be back to normal soon.

Member #
    The good.
    • Well done for attempting and achieving an XHTML and CSS layout.
    • Site is layed out logically and the navigation is easy enough to find and use.
    The bad.
    • The home page gives no info as to what the site is about or who these people are.
    • Although your navigation is technically spot on, it is rather boring. Times for the font and a really simple colour change.
    • the constant green is kind of monotonous
    • I think the pinstripe packground is a little strong. A little distracting to be honest.
    A good attempt, an even better first attempt.
    7/10
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    I'm totally lost on this page. I was expecting the images on either side of the content to be linked to something and they're not. There's no description of what this site is meant to offer or what these sketches are about. Is it something that I'm going to browse around in at work? Hell no because I don't know what to expect from any of the sketches.

It seems to be a website without a clear purpose. While a DVD created with no script might possibly be "well received despite the lack of direction", a website will not.

Member #
    <sarcasm>Nothing says "please laugh" like dark green.</sarcasm>

Here's my first thought, I think I understand what's going on, and the text is not that important. Also, that's the client's problem more than yours. Speaking strictly about the design, and no mention of colors...

The reels on the side look clickable. The fuzzy/fade thing doesn't really work, because you have something BELOW it, namely the nav.

Code wise, it seems a little redundant:

HTML Code:
    <li class="sketch"><a class="sketch">The Orange</a></li>
    But these things are not wrong. You could probably transfer most of the [minicode]li.sketch[/minicode] to the a.

What's really nice is how neat and organized your code is, both the html and the CSS.

And for another strictly opinionated comment: a [minicode]font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;[/minicode] strategically placed (maybe in the body style) will insure nobody has to view your page in TNR.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, it's more important than being able to transfer stuff from li.sketch to a; instead of doing [minicode]a.sketch[/minicode], you could do [minicode]li.sketch a[/minicode], which means `any a element that is a child of an li element with the sketch class'.

Member #
    thanks for the help, I'm gonna try to improve the design based on you suggestions. I designed the website before I knew how to make css based layouts, and then redid when I learned about css, later, I learned about the method shadowfiend suggested, so I'm planning to implement that. In response to DCScene, the only properties in li.sketch are text-align: left; and display: list-item;. A few people mentioned the reels, I think I'm gonna make them look trasparent so they're not as vibrant. I'm also going to add a short welcome/description to the homepage, and try to get some descriptive text for each sketch. Finally, I'm going to do something about how bland the navigation on top is. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Member #
    Great job getting a table-less site set up. When you have to design for IE, that can be a real hell.

Anyway, the background seems fine to me (maybe it's been changed?). It's very subtle and a nice touch IMO.

I have to say I don't really like the reels on the sides... I understand where you're coming from with those, but i'm not sure... I would suggest that you replace them with a more traditional movie strip: http://www.camelbackyouth.org/images/filmstrip.gif something like that. If you put pictures in it, maybe you could make it look like a movie reel with different, progressive frames from *one movie*. Just a suggestion. And don't fade it all.

You've done a nice job --- don't let suggestions and criticism get you down; that's what we'll all give you when you ask us for a critique.

Tip!

To make your links nice and sexy while still validating and being (theoretically) accessible: SIFR! http://www.mikeindustries.com/sifr/
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    I'm not letting the criticism get me down because I'm still proud of myself, and I agree with the suggestions and think they would improve the page. I'm not going to use SIFR because a big drawback of flash is it makes browser features inaccesible, for example you can't open a link in a new tab or highlight text.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danburke
    I'm not going to use SIFR because a big drawback of flash is it makes browser features inaccesible, for example you can't open a link in a new tab or highlight text.
    YES! Good man :-)

Member #
    thanks, by the way, how can I see my own ratings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads