Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My friend recently asked me to redesign his website. I found a skeleton of a site poorly designed, with terrible SEO and little content.

So I spent most of last night redesigning the site.

The company is Protech Consulting - a Computer and Networking Tech Support Solution Provider.

I wanted to get some opinions on the site before I continue. Really, the only pages that are done are the homepage, the IT Solutions page and the Contact page.

I still have some content to create for the homepage, to go alongside the image of the consultants holding the shield. I'm thinking of something along the lines of "ProTect Your Computer Assets with ProTech's Support Services"

Ok, slay me. Opinions?

Member #
    The site is VERY bare and simple design. So, why is it XHTML Transitional, rather than Strict. I looked at the source and it would only take a little to make it strict.

When looking at the source, I seen a table. aranoid: All that table is doing is positioning the title image, and the contact information image. When this could all be done with a simple float on each of the images. Making for cleaner code.

You spoke of SEO in your original post. So, why wouldn't you optimize the header images and turn them to text. Especially, seeing as how they are both basically plain text anyway? I know the impact this will make will be very minor, but every little bit helps right? The contact image is also poorly pixelated.

Your footer navigation is hidden too. Why? And what's with the span around each of the links?

The image, of the people on the right hand side of the screen on the IT Solutions page... It overlaps the bottom of the div. Maybe if you used a style attribute to float it to the right rather than using align right, it might not have this issue.

Another thing -- I noticed when you defined the size of things inline you did not designate how to size it... Whether it be by em, px, %, etc...

At first glance your code looks good, but in the end, not so great... But, no far off...

That's all I can think of now.

Member #
    The image sticks out at the bottom of the IT Solutions page in Firefox. The contact form font changes from Serif to San Serif when changing from IE to Firefox.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    I'm thinking of something along the lines of "ProTect Your Computer Assets with ProTech's Support Services"
    I like it. They need any techs?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also, the hover-over effect on the navbar links don't stretch all the way to the top of the navbar, which looks strange.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    all4sma,

Transitional, strict, who cares? It's not like I'm generating it with XSL-T... As long as it's valid markup, search engines will like it, and so that's all that matters to me.

The table in the header is there to allow vertical centering of the images. I don't like using display: td on divs...

The image for the contact information in the header is to prevent spiders from reading the email address, of course!

The SEO is being worked on, but as it is, the majority of the site is text, using H# elements frequently. It's pretty well optimized, though I know I can do more.

The footer navigation is something I eliminated temporarily to see how it would look. The header navigation used to be graphical, so there was an obvious need for the text links in the footer. Now I'm thinking it's redundant and should be eliminated altogether.

I'm aware of the overlapping image. Floating elements don't get counted into a parent div's size calculations, and thus overlap if the div isn't filled with enough other content or sized appropriately. I have a plan to fix it. As I said, I've only put a few hours of work into this thing so far.

Size of which inline? Please clarify.

-----

Chris, I wasn't aware of the font issue... thanks... I may have forgotten to include in a <p> element. I should probably define font for the <body> element nonetheless.

-----

Wired, I can talk to my friend. I doubt he's got any clients near you, though...

-----

Shadow, can you get a screenshot? On my end, it looks exactly how I wanted it to.

-----

Thanks for the input, guys. Really, I just wanted some first-glance opinions on the looks of the thing, though, considering that it has quite a bit of work left to be done.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You know what, on a second glance on this computer, it looks like it's right; I hadn't noticed the thin band below, as well. I'll check again when I get back to my home computer to make sure it's showing up there, as well.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    lol, no worries, just a joke.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Just a small point and by no means a critisism, but the contact page has a form, which is clearly a good idea in terms of avoiding spam, but then there is a generic email mailto/address in the header.
    End of Line.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkette
    Just a small point and by no means a critisism, but the contact page has a form, which is clearly a good idea in terms of avoiding spam, but then there is a generic email mailto/address in the header.
    Yes, the email address is there for people who don't like filling forms. Some people think that putting their contact info in any form will get them spammed, and prefer to send an emali directly. The email address in the header is a graphic, so that spam-spiders can't read it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads