Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi, this design is hopefullyin it's final stanges now, and I would like to incorporate any feedback that I get from people here too...

Cheers -Hagen
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    It's not bad.....

Why is there a huge amount of scrolling on empty space?

I think your menu could use a bit of word ... when I hover of the text (which is barely visible ... dark on dark is a bad idea) try chaning it to the white on hover like on the HOME link, not just adding the underline. And then when I hover over the image a dot appears in the middle?! Why doesn't it change on the text over as well? And why doesn't the text change on the image hover? See where I getting at?

Looking at your code ... it doesn't validate, table and js preloader, spacer gifs, a link to a stylesheet in the middle of the HTML (it should be in the head),etc ....

Like I said earlier ... it's not a "bad" design but I don't think it will attract many people or keep them there for long. Now these I would browse and look closer

hth
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    i think it look ok,

has a some errors but i'm sure you address them all in good time

also the key staff page is pretty bear, but i'm sure that probably to do with the site not being finalise yet

i'm not to keen on the gray text link and address in the left. doesn't stand out enough for me, sorta had to strain to read it. i would think if you brightened it a wee bit it might look better.

there seems to be a lot of blank space at the bottom of every page. u might want to address that.

other than that, look good to go

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks for that...

I reversed the colours of the links when active / inactive.... though has to be said both are as clear as day on my monitor...

I will add a footer at the bottom of the page containinging zero footprint dynamically generated text snippets for search engine purposes...

The CSS link in the middle of the page is pretty unavoidable... I reckon W3C are wrong! its a very silly rule that makes php design very difficult, and fortunately none of the main browsers follow this W3C rule... the rest of it will just get fixed when the design style is finalized makes little sense to do it now....

thanks for the feedback!! keepit comming

-Hagen

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hagen
    The CSS link in the middle of the page is pretty unavoidable... I reckon W3C are wrong! its a very silly rule that makes php design very difficult, and fortunately none of the main browsers follow this W3C rule...
    I'm sorry ... this I read this properly?!?!? :ermm:

A link to an external style must be declared in the <head> of the (X)HTML document. There's no way around that?!

Quoted from W3C's page on CSS
    The style information is cascaded in the order the elements appear in the HEAD.
    Most of my site are design with a PHP back-end and I've NEVER encountered that problem!?!

WTF!?!!?
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    I Really have to say nice job hagen. First off I have to say it was very easy to navagate throughout the site. Second great use of colors realy is apealing to the eye.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey positive feedback thanks!

karinne, "must" schmust!

basically the problem that I have is that I use php to put my pages together...

the central part of the page is included from another file...

how do i design it without a style sheet attached?

the thing is that browsers ignore style sheet attachements that are not in the header anyway...

so whats the biggie??

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    By the way, an easy way to include stylesheets that need to be included based on a subfile is by, for example, basing the name of an included stylesheet on the name of the requested page. So if someone requests `admin.php', the file `admin.css' is included. Another solution is, in the header file, to call a function that returns all of the stylesheets that need to be included. On included pages that don't need any additional stylesheets, it returns nothing, on others it returns, for example, an array of stylesheets to be included.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks shadowfiend.... the including stuff is all pretty straightforward...

my problem is this... i have a file say index.php

rather than use a frame, I include the central part from another page...

so that i can see what i am doing when i design the central part it has a style sheet declaration....

so when the central part gets included there is a style sheet in the middle of my design...

i have chosen to just forget about it because browsers ignore them anyway...

for me the logical solution is for dreamweaver to associate a style sheet with a design without declaring it in the code...

i guess another method if i was really gonna get anal about it would be to read the central file in remove the declaration then echo it...

am i really the only person in the world who designs like this?

seems a little odd....

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    You don't need to assign a stylesheet to every page. One of the reason you are using stylesheets in the first place (or the reason you should be) is to reduce bandwidth by having one CSS page for the whole site. Right now ... you might as use inline styles 'cause you're it doesn't change anything.

Anyways... I'm done here! I obviously won't change your opinion so I'll move to the next member who cares about understanding web standards. :ermm:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads