Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

There's a new sheriff in town and he takes office on September 1, therefore it's important that I give our website a facelift. I'm struggling with the same thing I always struggle with: colors. I must be borderline color blind because I can never tell if I have different tints of the same hue or different hues altogether.

If anyone can offer me some help or advice on how to generate color schemes and how to manipulate colors within a pallete I would be most grateful.

You can compare the new look to the old one by visiting the original site here.

<rant>
    Please give feedback on the color scheme and look and feel only. I know that my code doesn't validate, I know that there are some minor issues with IE, and I don't care. I have 150+ pages to maintain on two seperate websites and it's not my primary job responsibility, therefore if it ain't broke I ain't fixin' it.
    </rant>

Member #
    Here is a site that may be of help.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Funny you should post that URL, I'm using that site as well as this one.

I've been toying with the idea of buying the Color Schemer software, but there are so many free tools on the internet that I just can't see the need. I also have a copy of Photoshop CS2 and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to accomplish the same thing with it, yet I feel that it should be able to do something this simple.

Member #
    FYI, I have had a little (and I must stress little) luck with Photoshop. I set the saturation jitter on a brush and painted a line to create multiple shades and tints of a hue. I picked the hues based on those websites above. So far, the PS trick has done a good job, but I'm still not comfortable with it.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    The blue in the menu (the ones for the title like "General Info") is very ... er... bright! I call it the "default blue" :laugh: and the hover on those menu items is very are to read ... the light grey text on white bg. Otherwise not bad James.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    The nav menu background has been darkened and the hover now uses the more saturated shade rather than the less saturated tint for block highlighting. That should make the buttons easier to read.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    That's better
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    The navigation looks much better now.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    It is a definate improvement on the old site, brown should never be used in that context and i like the way that the frame around that picture fades into the background, was that intentional?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    It is a definate improvement on the old site, brown should never be used in that context and i like the way that the frame around that picture fades into the background, was that intentional?
    Yes, it was intentional. On the original site I tried to make the blue from the banner continue down into the content area, but this time I wanted something different so I decided to do just the opposite, make the the white content background extend into the fade around the photo.

Remove Ads