Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Been working on this for quite awhile. I want to let everyone know that I am *NOT* a programmer. I completely understand how HTML and CSS work, but I don't manually code HTML, so the code might be sloppy because of what Dreamweaver does to it (*sigh*). My site does not look very good in Internet Explorer yet (what a surprise...), however it looks acceptable in a standards-compliant web browser. Please give me feedback on how to improve my site. Thanks!

www.GeoffMyers.net

P.S. If you're using Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to download a good, modern browser. If you want to see what my site looks like anyway, click "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK."

Also: By the way, I just wanted to let you people know that I'm 16 and I'm not a web design genius... I read "The Zen of CSS Design," but I still have not transitioned to a site where ALL the design is in the CSS...

Member #
    Ok, so it does look a ton better in FF than IE, big surprise. I am not a fan of the fact that there is so much "stuff" at the top of the page (logo, navigation, location strip, location graphic, IP address strip), I think that could be simplified a lot, and the site would look better. You are right the code is terribly bloated, and could be simplified using strictly CSS.

I do like the colors and layout, and think that it is a good start for your site.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thanks! I really appreciate the suggestions. I completely agree with you on the extra "stuff" - the icon especially. The little rounded blue box doesn't do anything on the homepage, but it provides a useful summary on all the other pages. I've been slowly moving design elements/code from the HTML to the CSS... Although, I have to say that working with tables for me is easier than messing with absolute positioning in CSS or floats so far...

Member #
    You could always shrink the icons down and put them by the page name, if you insist on keeping that there as well. Learning the ins and outs of CSS will make your life loads easier, than trying to update a site with tables, and once you learn CSS you will wonder how you ever designed without it.

The scrolling favicon gets old quick.

Oh yea, and I still havent seen myself show up on the "Latest Visitors" list.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    The "Latest Visitors" is actually a crummy RSS --> HTML script that is assigned to my website's gVisit statistics. It only gets updated once every 24 hours. Check it out here: http://www.gvisit.com/map.php?sid=d0...aa7b200478099b

I forgot that stupid animated favicon is still there! I use Safari and Camino, so I never see it (since it only works in Firefox)... I'll get rid of that!

I'm very excited about relying more on CSS, and I'm transitioning slowly. I know that it's by far the best option, I just haven't figured it out yet completely...

Member #
    Oh, I see.

There are tons of good books on CSS that you can pick up at the library, then purchase the ones that are the most helpful to you (which is what I did). Here is the one that I found most helpful.

Good Luck!

Member #
    As I already said, I read the excellent book, "The Zen of CSS Design" - based off of csszengarden.com. I've started to use multiple CSS techniques that I learned from that, but the layout hasn't transitioned yet.

Member #
    As already said, the top is cluttered. That's really my only complaint. When you have that many navigation choices I usually think it better to use dropdown menus or a vertical navigation on the left or right side.

Off topic: Don't forget your umbrella, it's gonna be a rainy day, neighbor.

Member #
    Hello Geoff,

Good luck with the CSS progress, this forum has very gifted people in that department.

As far as the layout is concerned, the white text loses legibility on the white-blue gradient. I like it when people use Georgia, but it's not really working here, but that could be related to the gradient...

Are you allowed to use the OSX icons? Even if you are, I would go for something more original, or at least less recognizable.

Aside: do you work the genius bar?

I really like your photography, and how you have incorporated some of it into the layout.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    IE might suck, but it's not for you to tell your visitors that they shouldn't view your site at all (or far worse, not allowing them to view it). Of all the people using IE (which in itself is about 90% of all web users) who see your site and are stopped by the IE error message, something like 0.1% will actually care enough to get an alternative browser. The remaining 99.9% will just pass your site by and never return, having been annoyed at being criticized for a decision they might not even have consciously made.

The solution is to either serve a different version of your site for IE users, or adapt your current version to work in IE. I could make WDF one hell of a CSS paradise if I didn't have to support IE users, but you might agree with me that I did an okay job accomodating both of them and still developing a decent design.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads