Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portfolio Site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello, I'm new to these forums.
    I would like a critique of my portfolio site at http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/~tetler/
    Any comments are appreciated. I would also like it if someone could critique my code as well. Thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The Flash works perfectly in Firefox but is super-laggy in IE when doing rollovers, at least for me.

You have some CSS errors, but they seem to be because you're using some IE CSS extensions (filter) along with properties the validator doesn't understand yet (opacity): http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...usermedium=all
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    That's interesting... With me it almost runs faster in IE... Can you tell me more about your specs so I can figure out what's wrong? I tried to make the flash resource light.

I know all about the css, the hover thing is a miracle
    cure for IE to properly do :hover on divs. The opacity works but isn't official yet, and IE has a proprietary way to run it. I admit that it's pretty frivolous but as long as it doesn't break the site I think it's fine.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, opacity as a CSS property is best done using vendor-specific extensions like [minicode]-moz-opacity[/minicode] and [minicode]-khtml-opacity[/minicode] (I think that second one's right). However, knowing IE, it probably doesn't have it as a vendor-specific extension if it has it, but rather as a regular old property, since, as per usual, they don't really care for following standards.

Member #
    IE uses
    filter:alpha(opacity=60);
    That's not even in CSS format, I have no idea what they were thinking when they came up with that parameter. opacity:n; works fin in firefox and opera. If a browser doesn't support it it will just display it normally and that's fine by me.

Anyways I really don't care about the opacity thing. I'd really like to hear about the rest of the site.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fido
    That's interesting... With me it almost runs faster in IE... Can you tell me more about your specs so I can figure out what's wrong? I tried to make the flash resource light.
    P4 2.6 GHz with a Geforce 6800. I've never seen that problem with Flash in IE before, but then again, I avoid IE anyway.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    My computer is much slower than that. That's odd. I can't imagine what would cause the slowdown.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That's why we don't trust Flash ;-)

Member #
    That's why I don't trust internet explorer. Does it run slowly for anyone else? It uses up much less bandwidth than an equivalent image, (6k vs 10x as much) so I'd rather know what the cause of the problem is and if it happens on more than one person's computer.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm sure it does use a good bit more bandwidth than the same animation in an image would; however, there's no need to animate it, and with CSS it could be done with half the bandwidth by merely using text, an unordered list, and some CSS directives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads