Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've shown a couple different versions of this site I have created but never really happy with anyone. Please review my latest creation and let me know what you think.

http://www.rileyspoolsandspa.com/ver3/index.asp

Thank you in advance

Member #
    I think there is still a lot that you can do with your site.

One thing that I would definately advise for in your particular situation is that you have a fixed width for ryour site, main reason is that for people using a wide-screen monitor your site iss very sparse and lacks form. I think maybe put it down to a 800 x 600 size screen, also it will compact it a bit more and make the over all appearancce better.

I think you need to create more of a visual appearane for the site. It is currently a bit to plain, and it could do with some more graphics to be used. The logo is very plain, and I think it could possibly do with a revamp.

I would also suggest that you lose the comic look of the search magnigying glass, if it's a business, i would use comic pictures.

Other than that, as a first run trough of the site, i think it's overall not too bad, there is still a bit that you can do with it.

But good luck... not such a bad start.
    Tip #44: never pee into the wind...
    www.jenerate.com

Member #
    I would go further to the points above, the site looks vintage 90s. I also don't really see a purpose for the site, or an appreciation of user wants, or visual merchandising.

It's pretty much an exercise in layout construction, not website design. Hint: it's a communications medium -- content first, layout tricks after.

Shasta Pools. Beautiful, okay naviagation, has content about "The Shasta Difference."

Presidential. Beautiful, and has a planning resources and financing section. What's a like customer objection to anticipate: We can't afford it."

Testimonials, and photos of customer istallations.

Plan on the web site as being the best sales person you ever had -- or you're automatically planning for it to be among the worst.

Don't get involved in a land war in Asia, or do a site layout without content. Everybody says they have a "content driven" site, they really have layout driven sites. They limit the site to what they can do technically. They don't concentrate on having content worth building a site around. They don't step into the shoes of customers, then create hard working online visual merchandising and catalog copywriting. And barely acknowledge other sites exist which have though through these things and can be learned from and improved upon.

Reminds me of the Steve Martin bit where he gets all happy and amazed at his small, nearly invisible listing in the yellow pages, "Things are going to start happening for me now!"

Member #
    I'd say vintage 90's is a little harsh!

The color scheme doesn't scream "sunshine" or "relaxing." I would go with lighter and brighter colors. Think about it, if you're in a pool and you see grey, you get out!

I'm having a lot of issues with the header. It takes up a lot of room to show a bad mix of fonts. Still on fonts, I'm not feeling the Trebuchet at all on this page.

Try incorporating a background image on the page or the header, experiment.

The size isn't bothering me too much, but I would center the layout.

Is a news section really necessary? How often will there be news... I can see it now, "September is around the corner, get your pool cover out!" I like the testimonials idea better, it's more appropriate.

I don't think you're far off. There's nothing inheritly wrong with the layout (besides the colors!).
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I don't think he was harsh. Sometimes it takes a comment like that to wake up your design block. I'm working on something a little more colorful and taking each <div> one section at a time. Hopefully really focusing on each one will produce something worthy of a good site by WDF standards.

Thank you all for your comments

Member #
    After really looking at the content (which is lacking from my friend) and trying to move the site into a more colorful look I have recreated another site I would love to have some comments on.

I really took DC856's comments to heart and others and always developed something around the logo and content. Since I lacked both in this process I took what I had and the comments and came up with the following.

http://www.rileyspoolsandspa.com/ver3/index.asp

Thanks in advance

Remove Ads