Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    1.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,
    I'm a 19-year-old part-time freelance designer (online portfolio is at www.cwatson.org - although cringeworthingly bad, I will update the design at some point).

I hand-code in PHP, XHTML and CSS. This site above (www.tony-bourke.com) is a job which I've just completed. Any feedback would be appreciated

I must point out that I am a computer science student and - while I am studying at the moment - I aim to be doing web design when I finish university (in 4 years time). By no means are my sites stunningly CSS-driven and in most cases they are very basic, but I'm working on a part-time basis while holding down a three-day-a-week job as a hardware tech job (which I've just left) and just about to start a BSc (Hons) degree course.

Excuses over, time for some ritual humiliation. Now where's that paper bag?

Cheers,
    Craig

Member #
    hey there Craig,

couple of things.

first, you cannot view the intro at all in Firefox. at least, i couldn't. all i could see was the footer at the top of the page, making your site totally inaccessible. i am actually not a fan of having flash intros but this is an issue of personal preference. it may be fine for what you are doing. but make sure it appears correctly in all browsers or it will hinder more than help. i wish i could offer suggestions on how to fix it but it does not seem to be a problem with css. i don't know anything about flash.

second, the site is very attractive! your simple approach is great for what you are trying to do. a couple of picky points i would mention: on your drum setups page, once you click on a link to one of the setups, there is no way to get back to the top without scrolling up. "back to top" links would make this page much more navigable.

gallery page: are you familiar with how to swap out images with javascript? it might be worth looking into because then the user could move through the images more quickly. it seems to take a little while to refresh each page.(the images are also a bit large to begin with. perhaps try using the photoshop "save for web" option if you have it and reduce the image quality slightly. usually you can save 20k or so and don't notice the difference.)

overall good job!

Member #
    Well the Flash problem has been fixed, thanks for pointing it out

I'm familiar with image swapping with JavaScipt, I've done a few galleries in JavaScript before, but I thought it was time for a change in approach.

Member #
    he problem in firefox is *mostly* fixed...however the animation does not continue to the end and therefore there is no way to enter the site.

i am sure you can figure out the problem, but regardless i would give users an alternate way to enter the site, either a link at the top or the bottom. it is one thing if only some people can see your intro, but it is quite another if some users cannot access your site at all! i'm sure you agree.

Member #
    i suppose it's fixed now, as i was able to se most of the site. a couple things to improve:

-the main text area is a little hard to read with the drums outline being in white also.

-the 'drum set-ups' page is very cool. a very original and engaging piece of content.

-in the 'interviews' section the questions are only in bold. i would suggest using a bigger font, maybe a <h3> or <h2> tag

-i'd suggest using more of a gallery for the pictures instead of one at a time.

But good job overall. nice site, very interesting
    http://christopher-scott.org - Ramblings of an amateur web designer
    http://childfreechoice.com - An online community for the positively childfree

Remove Ads