Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.8 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.8 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.8 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I am a bit nervous as this is my first review here. I know yall say content is king, and I am working on beefing up the actual content of the site, and will be working on it later (after the kids are in bed).

Let's hear it good and bad.

Oh, and I am in the process of cleaning up the code as well.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    I like the logo on the left, but I think the gray text you're using for the navigation on the orange background may create difficult readability for people with less-than-perfect eye sight. You could integrate one more color in addition to gray and orange (perhaps a "cool" color). I think that would make it much richer. The contact page header is not ALL-CAPS like the rest of the page headers, and the navigation moves slightly on that page, too. I would also suggest you add thumbnails for each of the sites you've designed in your portfolio. Looks good, otherwise.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Myers
    ... I think the gray text you're using for the navigation on the orange background may create difficult readability for people with less-than-perfect eye sight ...
    Like me, except my eyesight's not that bad :-P I'd use a color that's a little more offset from the orange. Like black? :-P

Member #
    OK here are my thoughts...

first a web design site shouldn't have a blog, its unnessicary and tbh makes me think the company isn't professional.

Secondly i feel that all your fonts are a bit too large, perhaps knock them down a size?

Finally you need to change your navigation color. If someone is color blind or even partly so they won't be able to see the links at all. Also it hurts my eyes when i try to focus on them lol.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Is that really a logo? A slosh and your "company name" over it? If you don't have a decent logo then just don't put one.

The color scheme is not the best. You are already running into problems with it as far as your menu is concerned. Grey on orange is not good for the eyesight. Orange and white or black is a shoe in. Especially orange and black ... it seems like that's the new thing lately ... kinda like black and flashy green

I see right off the bat that it's a web design shop but I need to see some example of your portfolio too in that 5 seconds of scanning the site.

I don't think the blog is out of place, alot of designers do it ... and the fact that it's not the first thing we see is good!

When I clicked on rates, I expected to see some rates you know?! But ... nope ... a form!

One last thing, this is a VERY competitive area, just look at your competition and tell me honestly if that site of yours right now, as is, can compete with some of those?
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perad
    first a web design site shouldn't have a blog, its unnessicary and tbh makes me think the company isn't professional.
    Yeah, I have to disagree on this. More and more web design sites do have blogs; as long as they're not on the front page, so that it's clear that it's not what the website is all about. Blogs are teh r0xor right now, so there isn't any harm in having one on the site. Plus it lets you give a good impression of how good your writing is ;-)

Member #
    Legibility isn't about colour difference but tonal difference. Squint and you'll see it in gray - and the problem. This is true of design generally. If it's a nondescript mush in gray, colour isn't going to improve matters.

Member #
    Thank you all for your reviews. I pretty much heard what I expected to hear. I am working on the color issues, as well as the logo.

I have uploaded the pages with changes made.

Content is my next hurdle.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Karrine is accurate in her review of your site.
    I think too much is being made about the gray color...........yes it is an issue, but the overall design needs to be addressed more.

Plus, someone brought up a good issue about blogs being on a business site.
    If the blog provides professional advice, how-to tips, etc. then it is fine. Keep it filled with professional content and you shouldn't have an issue.

On your design:

- First thing I noticed was the logo. It isn't as great as someone made it out to be. I think the biggest issue is the text. It isn't bold and you almost lose it in the background with the choice of colors.
    A bolder font would solve some of your issue.

- Second thing. Your name. I don't think it gives you a professional look when you say the name came to you in a dream. Who cares? Honestly, that is just an observation.
    Besides, as soon as I saw the name I thought of the software company Veritas (I believe that Symantec owns them now).......but I didn't think of how the name meant truth, I thought about the software company.
    Potential clients won't care about your dreams or how you came up with the name.
    Keep it professional.

- Rates page. I too thought; why is there a form? Usually, that is reserved for price quotes or contacts.
    What bothered me the most about is the fact that you charge an hourly rate. If this is your method, then you can put your rates on your site since you don't bill based on project sizes/features.
    I personally don't put prices on sites because your competitor can use it to out price you.........so I do see the benefit in that. You may want to change the name of that page to quotes and that could resolve some of the issue people might get by having to fill out a form when they went to look at your prices.

- Navigation. It always bothers me when someone puts a link on their site and it doesn't open up in a new window. It navigates you from the site you wanted to be on. You need to do that with your portfolio. Don't let it nav from your site.
    Speaking of portfolios, I would prefer (as most) to see a picture (thumbnail) rather than a link.
    Also, your Psalm 91 link doesn't work.

- The overall design of the site is definately done by a "first timer" and there is nothing wrong with that, we all (hopefully) get better as we design more and more.
    But, please understand there are no real design elements to your site. It is two color, plain text, no professional layout.........plain and simple.
    You want potential customers to go to your site and think:
    1) Would I want this guy to build my website? They base that many times on the look
    2) Does he know what he is doing? They base this many times on content

Hope this helps. Good luck with your business.........
    GMan

Member #
    I love the color! I've read some studies that suggest orange puts people in a mood to buy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads