Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is a site I'm working on for my dad and one of his companies. The forms supplied on the "For Builders" and "Contact Us" pages and the supplied photos and text are *not* mine, so please don't complain about those (it wasn't up to me). He wanted them directly copied from the old site (http://www.norsebuildingsystems.com/). In addition, he preferred a fixed width rather than my suggestion for a flexible/liquid-width design. I don't know how this design looks in other browsers/OSes, etc. besides Safari/Mac OS X, so any feedback on compatibility would be very helpful. But in general, does this design work or not?

A lot of choices that have been made on this site have been specifically asked from the client, so some elements are not my decisions, thus they aren't going to change.

http://www.norsebuildingsystems.com/beta/

P.S. I understand there are photos that highlight when hovered over. These will be links soon (wanted to prevent confusion)...

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It looks fine (although I think I prefer the old layout), but there is one visible problem: the slideshow. It doesn't appear where it *should* be, according to the borders. It's been shifted down in Firefox so nearly overlaps the other images: http://www.chrisbrewster.co.uk/img/ieffhouse.gif

I'd suggest narrowing the page a bit to make things look less spread out. Other than that it's decent though.

EDIT: That's a point. The navigation bar wraps onto a new line in IE7, as you can see in the screenshot. This doesn't occur in FF.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ljm
    It looks fine (although I think I prefer the old layout), but there is one visible problem: the slideshow. It doesn't appear where it *should* be, according to the borders. It's been shifted down in Firefox so nearly overlaps the other images: http://www.chrisbrewster.co.uk/img/ieffhouse.gif

I'd suggest narrowing the page a bit to make things look less spread out. Other than that it's decent though.

EDIT: That's a point. The navigation bar wraps onto a new line in IE7, as you can see in the screenshot. This doesn't occur in FF.
    Wow, thanks a lot for taking screenshots and previewing the site in multiple browsers! That's a quite a lot of time spent. I really appreciate it!

Hmm... the slide show and navigation bar have compatibility issues... Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to fix that soon...

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No problem, it only took five minutes!

Your navbar might be causing problems because the buttons are fixed width, maybe? You should be able to have them fluid too, with a repeating background to replace the gradient (add [minicode]background-repeat: repeat-x;[/minicode] to your stylesheet). They should resize when the browser window does.

Remove Ads