Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi there!

Long time no visiting this place!

I've recently been appointed webmaster of the Peugeot GTi Autosport Clubs website, and I'm going to set about re-designing it. The website is composed of a main page with several thousand articles, and a forum that is accessed through the top menu.

Although you won't be able to log in and see many of the articles as most are for members only, I'd appreciate your thoughts on what is good and bad about the site!

I'm also looking for a good system to use to run the website on - ideas anyone?

Cheers
    Rob

www.peugeot-gti.net/
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd love to be able to suggest things, but I can't get on your site. Do you use a CMS currently? You say you have thousands of articles so I'm inclined to believe that.

If that's the case, you should stick with the same CMS (it saves messing about transferring stuff in the database) and edit the template to give it a fresh look.

Member #
    The site appears to have gone down... Hmm. It should be back up soon, we're moving to new servers in a couple of days.

Yes we do use a CMS at the moment but it is a custom designed CMS which lacks user-friendliness.

I've not actually seen the coding behind it but i assume it could be fairly easy to make it more graphical and easier to use through simple HTML/CSS adjustments?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Anybody got any opinions?

Member #
    First, is there any real reason you can't set up a dummy account, deleted after the review session? Next, aside from "boredom," albeit the web's major motive, is there any purpose for the redesign? All you're going to get from people who are never going to become users is some superficial casual comments.

For example, let's pretend somebody observed a user having problems locating specific content. You have made a list of 1) the top objectives members have. 2) The top three tasks 82% of users attempt while at the site. 3) The fifty article which are most popular.

With tasks, you can then have some basis for understanding what percentage of users are not acheiving the tasks. And with that, you have somewhere to go with a redesign. Maybe you'll even find a major objective users want but isn't being met by the site. Otherwise what is the point? ...don't like the color blue? ....want to try out your photoshop skill on a new logo? ...Joomla come out with a minor release this week you've just got to mess around with?

Read Good Designers Redesign, Great Designers Realign

Here's a radical idea. Get a list of five ways you're fairly sure the site is failing users. That way you can realign the site as if the people who are your customers matter. Content Management Systems (CMS) are worthless without a content strategy. That means some vague understanding of information architecture and information design.

Remove Ads