Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

hey, i have just redisigned my site, i would like to have your oppinions on it!

here is the link: http://f1database.net/nieuw/index.htm

there is nothing of content yet, but what is your oppinion of the looks/navigation of the site?

thx for your time!
    Greetings, Joeri

Member #
    Well the site itself isnt that bad, although i'm not a fan of grey and what is it with f1 fans and images of semi naked women? not that i mind :lick: although it definately changes the look and feel of the website, its going to take you a long time to make all of that content though! when it is finished it'll be a very impressive resource for f1 fans, one thing that i must point out is that you've put formule 1 in the title bit instead of formula, i'm no expert, but i'm guessing this is wrong? besides the colours used i'd have to say i'm very impressed by this site!
    best of luck
    Solidgold

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    Well the site itself isnt that bad, although i'm not a fan of grey and what is it with f1 fans and images of semi naked women? not that i mind :lick: although it definately changes the look and feel of the website, its going to take you a long time to make all of that content though! when it is finished it'll be a very impressive resource for f1 fans, one thing that i must point out is that you've put formule 1 in the title bit instead of formula, i'm no expert, but i'm guessing this is wrong? besides the colours used i'd have to say i'm very impressed by this site!
    best of luck
    Solidgold
    thx for your reply! and yes, it is an impressive source, i have this site already but i'm not verry happy with that one: http://www.f1database.net
    oh, ****, lol about the title, i've made a mistake, yes, but formule 1 is not wrong, its just dutch for formula 1, i will correct it later.

and about the half-naked woman, these are called pitbabes!

Member #
    Ok.........so here goes.........

The Good:
    - I agree that this will be a pretty cool site when it is complete. I am not big into F1, but I would check it out (probably be a great resource for a novice).
    So with that, I hope you do get it fully completed. Content is king, and you have your work cut out for you.
    - Navigation is the other area you seem to have a good grasp on. Looks like the site will be easy to nav and is pretty straightforward.

The Bad:
    - The spelling of Formula vs. Formule is too confusing. While it might be proper in some content, it isn't proper in both contents. You are confusing the viewer and most assuredly, you will get a lot of emails saying "you spelled formula wrong". May want to rethink having two spellings.
    - Your "F1 Database" Logo (the grey and white) doesn't really seem to fit the look of your site. I agree with solid in that I'm not a fan of grey, but you can make it work.....however, in this case it doesn't look good.
    - Speaking of F1 Database text.........you have 4 times in just the top 1/2 of your home page. I think you need to lose a couple of them. Plus, the ones you keep make sure they have a consistent look........brand your site and your look.
    - Everything is dropshadowed and not sure that you need to drop shadow every single word on the home page. Probably looks best in just the banner. For sure, it doesn't look good in your nav bar.
    Obviously, you are a fan of drop shadow and that is ok.........but, less is more. You need to lose it (at the very least) in your nav section. Your text will stand out more. You don't need a "design element" in that part of your homepage. It is just nav text. Do the design elsewhere.

Other than that, you should have a pretty cool site. You should repost when you get the content filled in.
    Good luck..........
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    Ok.........so here goes.........

The Bad:
    - The spelling of Formula vs. Formule is too confusing. While it might be proper in some content, it isn't proper in both contents. You are confusing the viewer and most assuredly, you will get a lot of emails saying "you spelled formula wrong". May want to rethink having two spellings.
    - Your "F1 Database" Logo (the grey and white) doesn't really seem to fit the look of your site. I agree with solid in that I'm not a fan of grey, but you can make it work.....however, in this case it doesn't look good.
    - Speaking of F1 Database text.........you have 4 times in just the top 1/2 of your home page. I think you need to lose a couple of them. Plus, the ones you keep make sure they have a consistent look........brand your site and your look.
    - Everything is dropshadowed and not sure that you need to drop shadow every single word on the home page. Probably looks best in just the banner. For sure, it doesn't look good in your nav bar.
    Obviously, you are a fan of drop shadow and that is ok.........but, less is more. You need to lose it (at the very least) in your nav section. Your text will stand out more. You don't need a "design element" in that part of your homepage. It is just nav text. Do the design elsewhere.

Other than that, you should have a pretty cool site. You should repost when you get the content filled in.
    Good luck..........
    the Formule 1 and Formula 1 is a big mistake from me, Formule 1 is dutch for Formula 1 (I'm from belgium)
    the dropshadow, I think i'll leave that (annyway, I can solve that later, I can't go from only 1 person's oppinion, i guess you'll understand that!)

And of the too much times F1Database text, I guess you have right, I'll fix it too!

thx for your reply!

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Doesn't look bad, but I'm not a fan of the table style areas content updates will go in.

The navigation is all image based, and you've left the alt attribute empty for everything. If someone visits that site with images turned off, they won't be able to navigate it because it'll all disappear.

Member #
    You can't pick and choose what you choose to take as advice...........well, I guess you can.
    It is very clear that you are a fan of dropshadows, so I knew you'd probably keep those.......no matter how difficult it might be to read in your nav.
    I can tell you from a design standpoint, and you will find most true designers will agree, not everything on the page needs to be dropshadowed.

You mentioned I was the only one to point out how "formule vs. formula" might be confusing, but you had another person think it was a spelling error (as I did, until reading your reply to him).
    Also, you mentioned how you wouldn't take one person's opinion, yet you took other advice and it was only my opinion (the site name 4 times in just the banner area of your site).

It is clear you aren't a professional developer/designer and this is a hobby site.......and that is fine. I think it will be a pretty cool site when all is said and done.
    However, you've had 76 people look at this thread and only 3 replied. So......you may want to solicit more advice/direction before you commit one way or the other on any changes.

Good luck.....
    GMan

Member #
    -about the dropshadows, I sead that I guess that I'll keep them. That doosn't mean that I won't change it, I'm thinking about it!

- Formule 1 will be changed into Formula 1, thats for sure!
    - And about the 4 times the name of the site in the banner section, you've right about that, I'm thinking of keeping the banner, and under the banner just putting the slogan.

And yes, its a hobby site, I'm absolutely no professional! I just like it to write some html code and I'm totally addicted to Formula 1, I can't imagine a better hobby

thx

Remove Ads