Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,
    Just launched this site, it's a kinda more professional stab at a portfolio site (my current site - www.cwatson.org - will be turned into a more personal site with blogs, pics etc).

Quick overview is that it's a floated DIV site (works in FF & IE - or so far anyway), valid xHTML 1.0 (Strict) and CSS. Plus all hand-coded. Graphics are done in Macromedia Fireworks 8.

Any design tips are appreciated

Thanks
    Craig

Member #
    Your home page is totally screwed up in Firefox, the background doesn't extend all the way down, and your footer is aligned to the right of the screen. I dont care for the logo, I think it looks like it was just tossed together in Paint Shop Pro. I would also incorporate a contact form on your contact page.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    Your home page is totally screwed up in Firefox, the background doesn't extend all the way down, and your footer is aligned to the right of the screen. I dont care for the logo, I think it looks like it was just tossed together in Paint Shop Pro. I would also incorporate a contact form on your contact page.
    All coding bugs you've mentioned are now fixed (background not repeating and footer right-align)

Thanks for your input about the logo and contact form, it will be taken on board

Member #
    I forgot to say that there is a white line under the logo/banner in IE.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Not really a big fan of this at all.

The shaded background and the striped one really doesn't match at all. And neither does the logo/banner for that matter. There are too many shades of blue/aqua.

At least you have some portfolio displayed right up front so I'll give you that
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Considering the standard of the sites in your portfolio, how is this site so bad?! The colours of the site are all wrong, i hate that colour (all the time, not just in this site) of bluey green used in the gradient, i also am not loving the logo/splodge bit at the top.

good luck
    solidgold

Member #
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for your input, I've had a little redesign on the colour schemes, if you could take another look and re-evaluate the site it would be much appreciated

Craig

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Now you're getting somewhere!

Much better than the first!

Keep it up!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Tons better! I would still look at adding a form on the contact page.

Member #
    Looks quite good, although perhaps a little empty, although I'd imagine that will change!

One thing you will want to look at is your search engine friendliness - you're missing meta tags, a robots.txt file, and your homepage title could be better (maybe even your 'tagline' - eg 'Web solutions for small businesses and individuals - Sonica Design')

Take a look at the SEO forum here - you want people to be able to find your nice new webpage!
    Hardly the sharpest thing in the drawer.
    Design | Life | Outdoors | Ryukin Radio

Remove Ads