Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello Everyone,
    Let me first say that I am extremly new to all of this, I am currently learning (or attempting to learn) css, html and a bit of php. I have uploaded what I have come up with so far, which is simply the main page with out any content or images, and only one rollover.
    Please could you have a look through and tell me what you think of the design, and layout. also feel free to have a look at my source/stylesheet and tell me if that is done in a way that you would see standard.
    www.AJLX.co.uk
    Thanks
    AndyJones

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It doesn't follow standards very well at all, and you have a few errors. I also have doubts as to how you've achieved the design.

Firstly, you've no Doctype Declaration (DTD) at all, so the page isn't going to validate.

Secondly, the code's a bit of a mish mash:
    There are tags that are all capital (everything should be lower case if you're going for XHTML of any sort);
    one of your image tags doesn't self close;
    you have no ALT specified in your images;
    you've declared the height and width of each image in the HTML, when it should be done with CSS; and
    you've used used <br> instead of <br />.

Thirdly, the way you've designed the page. It appears you've created a div and shoved an image in it for your background. This is unnecessary and CSS should be used as much as possible. For instance, to replicate your background, do this:

Code:
    #mainpage {
    background-image: url(/images/mainpage.gif);
    background-repeat: none;
    width: 594px;
    height: 701px;
    }
    That achieves exactly the same thing, you just remove the image code from your page. There is a problem though. If you have too much text on your page so it stretches, the image won't stretch with it.

Finally, your navigation links are nigh on unreadable. I suggest changing the font.

The design looks okay, but without the content it's looking a bit bare. It could do with being filled up to see what it's like then.

Ooh, last one. You've used a line break to make your text appear to wrap. This happens automatically, you don't need line breaks everywhere.

Member #
    White text on a pale background is going to cause you problems without a doubt.

The text on your buttons needs to be improved, it looks like the buttons were originally bigger and have been resized using broswer coding.

Apart from that it currently looks ok. Ask for a proper review when you are nearer completion.

Member #
    As far as the design is concerned I like it a lot, with two exceptions:

I'd change the buttons, they look cheap and frontpage-esque.

I agree with the white on light font coloring, I'd change that to a black.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    HTML Code:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">

function reDo(){ window.location.reload() }
        window.onresize = reDo;
    </SCRIPT>
    Why in God's name would you do that!? The only thing that I can possibly think of is Netscape 4 support, and since nobody uses it--literally, more people who visit this site use Lynx instead of Netscape 4--you shouldn't need it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Hello Everyone,
    Thanks for being so honest and helpfull, I am currently implementing most of the changes that you have suggested. When I get this page totally finished I shall repost a link.
    Thanks again especially to ljm for such a detailed responce.

AndyJones

Remove Ads