Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My portfolio

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.3 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.3 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.7 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.7 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,

this is my new portfolio (or should i say my 1st portfolio). Anyway, I aiming to try get small freelance work and/or get noticed by employers, for junior positions that i apply for ,with the use of this site. Its also going to be used to show some of the music and films i've done - not very professional i know but all good humour

I admit that i look a wee bit rough in places (yes, the graphics are pretty poor), but i intend to correct the title image and other things tomorrow(or asap, whatever comes 1st ), it was really just thrown together to give me a better idea of what the site will look like.

I'm applying for a few junior developer positions this week so i'll have to finish it off by then, would love to hear your input.... good or bad:classic:

btw, i don't have a clue what it looks like on a mac so if you find any faults i would appreciate the feedback

cheers

Member #
    Overall looks really nice, I was about to comment on the text in the header, but then I actually read your post. I'm not too thrilled about the big green bar at the top... it just doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the flow.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sort out the left and right 'columns' so the gradient fills the whole page, and make the header ("My Portfolio") look a bit better and you'll have a good design.

At the moment, you've mixed a fullscreen layout with a fixed width layout, and it looks horrible. Make the whole page the same width as the middle container (with your page content in), or make it all full screen. Not a mixture of the two.

Also think of styling your horizontal rule to make it fit in with the style better.

As your portfolio grows you'll want to replace your current layout with something like an unordered horizontal list that wraps within the current container div. It takes up too much space and would add unnecessary scrolling if it's all vertical. Make the most of the screen space you have, it won't make it that cluttered if you remove text headers and use logos instead of site screenshots. That's a personal suggestion though so don't take that to heart if you disagree.

Your footer... The gradient at the top goes from a darkish green to white. The footer is a muddy brown colour. It looks out of place. It's also rounded while there's nothing else similar on the page. Leave it plain, you don't need to section it off. The fact that it's right at the bottom is enough to suggest it's a footer.

Finally...that star at the top and your nav. The star is pointless. Remove it. It's like you're trying to fit in with that 'web 2.0' thing. If you want to keep it, move it when you've got a consistent design. The navigation is the same. Don't remove it, obviously, but you'll need to redesign it when you have a consistent design. I suggest making it horizontal if you're going for a fixed width (not full screen) layout, otherwise don't change it, just move it further down a bit. The top right corner of the screen isn't the first place a person will look for navigation.

Another last point. Your star, and the banner (with it being one image) doesn't centre properly. It's still a bit off to the left.

Member #
    thanks 4 the input.

i agree that the star looked a bit, well not right but graphic design is my weakest point and i saw karrines tutorial and thought i might as well stick it in and see what it looks like.

as 4 the layout, i tried to come up with something different but i sorta knew myself that it wasn't right.

anyway i'll take all your views on board and try come up with something maybe a bit more suitable

cheers

Member #
    You know how to tell a good designer who is still new?
    They know when they look at a site what needs to be improved.
    You almost self-reviewed your own site. Which is a good thing.

The worst thing you can do is put up a site like this (that does need work) and the designer thinks it looks good or defends their work by not listening or getting defensive to constructive criticism.

With that said, there isn't much more that I can add than what ljm said in his/her review.
    Good, accurate, and to the point.

Anyway, good luck........
    GMan

Member #
    well i think you site is to bright
    so when some one goes to your site he does not feel comf looking to your site
    and u must be knowing tht at first lance if people nt like ur site
    they just close the windows.
    so light colors would be a better option i think.

Amitav Roy

Member #
    planetgman - i appreciate the comments, cheers

ljm- great help, totally what i thinkin but was having trouble saying to myself, lol

Thanks all for the comments:classic:

i've quickly changed the design so it may not be 100% valid or too tidy:ermm: but if you want you can give us feedback on the new(ish) look. the title will be changed and this form will be personalised but i feel i'm almost there to a simple clear and clean portfolio.

I'll finish it over the weekend so it may be better to leave your comments (and slag me off) then:laugh:

ciao 4 now

Member #
    right, finally i got some time to sit down and finish it off.

comment if you wish :-)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Didnt get a chance to see the site in progress, so im a bit of a late bloomer.

I would change the headers to images to avoid alising, it will give it a much cleaner look.

Also I enjoyed the music tracks.. did you do them yourself? Very nice.

Member #
    changing the headers is probably a good idea. will do that in the morning.

yeh, did the music myself. ages ago as well. haven't had the chance to upload any new stuff.

question: did you see the videos?

did the sound work?

cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads