Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hiya everyone. As a favour to my martial arts school I have made a website for my dojo. Its very basic at the moment. Before you all go nuts and rattle off problems, here is the stuff I already know about.........
    • The 'contact us' form doesn't work. Could do with advice, I followed the readme but I still get errors. Wondering if the server I use is PHP savvy. Have emailed the query.
    • No pics in 'gallery' and no articles in 'knowledge' yet. Waiting until I get the rest of the site design perfect before I go and add more pages.
    • Title banner needs more to it to break up the mass of red - am working on that as we speak.
    • My instructor asked specifically for no flash and no contact details other than a form of email (hence the contact form, dont want to risk getting spammed). It was designed from scratch as a no-frills basic site.
    • There are more than 2 of us in our dojo, but I'm not going to add the others until I get their profile paragraphs from them.
    • Plus this is my first shot at building a website. Am currently doing a web design and MCAD course. Please be gentle.
    Thanks in advance for any tips and/or pointers :squareeyed:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    • In regards to the Contact Us form, it will let you submit it with all the fields blank. I don't know if that has any relation with the problem you already know about.
    • "Official BFNS Site" looks out of place formatting-wise. It might be Firefox-specific.
    • The site overall is very good-looking: simple, clean, and crisp.
    • Get rid of that "Designed for IE 7" at the bottom of the page. Your site should be designed for every major browser and appear equally as good in all of them. In fact, it should look the best in Opera and Firefox as they far more closely obey W3C standards compared to crappy IE, even IE7.
    • It fails validation, but all three errors are easily fixed if you avoid using HTML attributes and instead use CSS: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ntree.co.uk%2F

For a first web site, it's ridiculously good. Well done.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Hmmm interesting thing about the contacts form. I received your blank one, I will look through the files as I didn't write it. Don't know a great deal about PHP at the moment so i downloaded an external form.
    The site was tested and does work on IE6, 7, Firefox and Netscape. Completely forgot about the footer, thanks for reminding me! I'll get on it

Member #
    Oh by the way, any ideas on the best way to get rid of those 3 validation errors?

Member #
    I agree with filbert, that is a great site for your first try. I like the header logo as it appears now. The colors work very well together. As for the validation, as filbert said use CSS instead of attributes. Example you have align="left" in both an <h1> and <h2>, instead in your CSS file set these like this:
    Code:
    h1, h2 { align: left; }
    This is provided the <h1> and <h2> are unique to the page. Otherwise assign a class to each with something like this:
    Code:
    .head_left {align: left;}
    Then the html would look like this <h1 class="head_left">SOME TEXT...</h1>, and the same for the <h2>. Apply the same idea to the <div> you have center aligned.

Member #
    Thanks audiofreak! I'm now valid! However, I've been trying to put the schools name in Kanji on the homepage as a jpeg (since i want everyone to see it without having to install a Japanese language pack). Looks ok on a normal size screen, but in a larger widescreen the 'Meigetsu' title appears on the same line as the image. I want the image to split up the intro and the meigetsu bit, and be centred. Do I have to put a minimum width in somewhere? If so, where and how etc?

Remove Ads