Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.3 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.8 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.8 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Well, I've been working on this for a while and it now all works - but as for the design and layout ??

www.yodbod.com

Most of my work has been centered around getting the scripts working. I don't count myself as a designer, so I'd really appreciate your opinions on how I should improve it.

Feel free to place adverts on it as well because it is fully functional - I intend to start promoting it soon.

Thanks
    Enjoy using the New UK free advertising site at
    www.yodbod.com

Member #
    Thanks again for your further comments.
    I have been away for a few days but now I am back and will apply some of the things you all mentioned. I will be putting adverts on it myself next week when I pick up a London local paper. I expect to update my site today.
    www.yodbod.com

Member #
    OK

I have done the changes and uploaded the site. I need to add an image in the space on the front page but apart from that I think its ready.

I have tried to do the improvements that you all recommended and woul really appreciate you having another look over what I've done and would like to hear more helpful pointers about improving the design.

My site: www.yodbod.com

Thanks
    www.yodbod.com

Member #
    Looks better. I don't like the buttons on the left. Maybe something with a gradient. I noticed the W3C logo is just an image. When I see those I normally think they are a link for actually checking the site with the validator.

Overall good work on the changes.
    Web Designer and Telecom Engineer
    eCommerce Shopping Cart Solutions

Member #
    The buttons are css blocks .
    What I mean is that they are not images.
    - so I don't know if I can put gradients on them ?
    Is it possible - because you are rigtht, it would be nice to jazz them up a bit.

The W3W buttons are just to show that its valid. I dont want people leaving the site just to look at the valdation - after all if someone is interested, they can do it themselves anyway I would rather they explore my site withe other buttons.

Any more thoughts ?
    www.yodbod.com

Member #
    Looking better.
    Can you make the adds more realistic and cover all areas.
    Some quick comments.
    Comments on Home Page
    1) The home page is very busy. It is not easy to see what the site is about in 3 seconds.
    2) The home page is targeted to attracting advertisers, not to attracting the viewers of the advertising.
    3) It may be better to have the home page as a "Browse page" , i.e. where people can browse the ads and a separate page for people to post adds. They are two separate functions yet you are combining them on the one page. I would suggest you consider separating the browse function and the post function.

Member #
    I definitely think it is much improved from the earlier version. You have much better control of the white space, though there's still a big spot on the top right within the center column. The ads in the center should at least match the width of the other content beneath them.

The ad managerin the nav has got to move down! Right now you're telling me editing my ad is the number one most important thing... not so much!

Inside... again white space is weird. The sort area is longer than the middle column, but shorter than the width of both the middle and right columns. It should be one or the other. And you need a new "go!" button. BTW, if you want gradients on your buttons, as mentioned above, make it a css background image instead of a block. If you don't know how, just search the forums, it's been discussed all over.

Better use of color, as in consistency and pallette. Not a huge fan of the blue as a background, I'd go for something a LOT lighter. But, at the same time, it's not detracting from the content.

Great strides, keep it up!
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads