Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've designed a few sites so far. I enjoy it, but I feel my designs are stale, and they all have similarities that I feel our outdated. Please check out the site and let me know what you honestly think, and hopefully you have suggestions regarding imagery, layout, copy, anything. Please don't hold back.

Also, I have the technical stuff down. If I think of something that I want to complete I mostly know how to go about it, it may not be the best or most organized (code wise), but it gets done. So I have the tools, I just don't have the ideas. Any suggestions on improving my ideas or of resources to improve my understanding of design?

I feel my sites are bland, but I don't know how to use imagery to pretty up a site. I suppose that will come with experience.

Thanks,

Jake

Member #
    It looks alright, a splash of color would be nice though. Here is a tool I use to help with color.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    One word you need to consider: depth. The page is lacking it. Think about layers and textures but don't rely on them as major design elements. Instead use them sparingly enough to make a difference. I took 10 minutes to throw something together. It is by no means "ground-breaking" but might get you thinking in a different direction. See link below:
    http://www.yellow7.com/temp/pedro.jpg

Member #
    I'm not a massive fan of the font, which appears as times new roman on my computer (and presumably everyone elses), or the way that you've just put a simple onmouseover background-image change, you could easily change it into a 'button,' some good tutorials of this are in the menu and navigation section of www.dynamicdrive.com

good luck for the future,
    solidgold

Member #
    Thanks for the replies guys, I responded to each one:

solidgold -

Yeah, I agree. However, I don't know what type of font fits with what type of design yet. I will definitly be looking and trying different fonts to improve the feel of the site. As for the links, I want to stick with just CSS, so if you know of anything else within that limit, that would be great.

yellowseven -

You're exactly right. Thats what's wrong, I just didn't know enough to know what it is. Thanks for the insight and your example, it started the flow of ideas again. Your example seems hard if not impossible to complete without tables, is this the wrong impression?

-chris- -

Thanks for the reply. I did change the color, let me know what you think.

Thanks again,

Jake

Member #
    I did not see the original colors, but that's the first thing that caught me. The yellow weighs down the page, maybe if it was just in the header, it would be better. The reds don't match. The rollovers are shorter than the bar behind them.

I like the gradient on the home page.

The difference in the logo between the home page and the rest of the site is insignificant and causes confusion. I see that you're following the two rules... the home page does not have to look like the rest of the site, and in general, you don't want to change the header & navigation. But I'm saying you're following too closely. Do something more dramatic on the home page. If it was me, I would also condense the header in the other pages.

Internally, all the photos are currently the same, are they place holders or design elements? If the latter, scrap 'em! Put your content into two columns, right now it's too wide to scan.

Strong web design incorporates all the elements into one entity, this site is more of the bulletin board with everything stuck on it. There really is no connection between one thing to the next.

Obviously you have a solid grasp of the back end of web design, now time to work on the front.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads