Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey people,

I have been working on a social networking site for almost a year now and what started out small has grown bigger and bigger. This is the first real site I ever make apart from my tiny portfolio site. It's too bad that I found this forum only a little while ago as I have commited many web design "don'ts" such as depending on javascript. Also, I'm sure my site is not fully XHTML compliant and it's probably not very hard to find any bugs although on my pc and mac it seems to run fine on firefox, safari and internet explorer 6.
    This is the first time I am showing this to anyone other than my close friends. I would appreciate your opinions on how to make it better and especially on how to make it hack proof. Like I said, this is the first time I make a site like this so I'm sure there is plenty of stuff that I hadn't even thought about.

Crits and comments are welcome.

www.magellantics.com/main.php

Member #
    Hi,

You're right that it's not valid XHTML code - take a look at
    http://validator.w3.org and it will give you a list of all the problems with the code so that you can fix them.

I didn't really test the functionality of the site, but the site design is pretty good. The header is not too easy to read (not enough contrast). I'm also not sure why there are two blank tabs in the navigation?

------------------------------------------------------------
    phoenix

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    A lot of errors. The majority are just because you're using uppercase tags and not properly enclosing attributes in quotes or escaping entities. It's very easy to fix any validation error.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    The sites a bit colorless for my liking. Also why do the forums have creation dates on them?

The idea is good, visually its a bit lacking lacking.

Member #
    Thanks for the advice! I ran my site through the validator before and when it came up with all the erorrs I got a little discouraged. I didn't know that uppercase tags would screw up my validation. I shall work on that tomorrow. Also, I will add more contrast and more vivid colors and I will fix the two empty tabs (they get filled when you are logged in but I should make it that unused tabs just don't show)

Thanks again guys, any other tips?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I think after the "Find map and share it" first paragraph after it says "drop me a line" you could put a touch of padding beneath that so the line isn't immediately beneath it, especially as on the next section "Latest news" this line has a fair bit of padding between it and the text above.

I really like your menu tabs

The header "Magellantics" could stand out agaist it's background a little more.

I also like your lines which fade from left to right.

Member #
    Thanks for all the replies guys I'll try to incorporate as much as I can.

I started with trying to make the site validate with the validator that some of you suggested. I got the errors on the main page (never mind the rest of the site, it's gonna take a while) down from 180 or so to just 11. The errors I get now I don't really understand. It all seems to come down to four things:

1) the "name" attribute in my form tag is not recognized. I googled it and it seems like the name attribute in a form tag is correct xhtml no?
    2) same thing with the "target" atribute in my <a> tags
    3) it complains about the input tags not being allowed where they are right now (???)
    4) it complains about a bare ampersand in my link urls because for some reason it adds "&PHPSESSIONID=..." to my links. I don't have this in my source code so I can't replace the "&" with "&amp;"

Does anyone have any idea of how to fix these issues?

Thanks again for the help guys and girls, it's appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    1. Use id, not name. The name attribute is deprecated for almost everything.
    2. target is only valid for XHTML 1.0 Transitional, not Strict or XHTML 1.1. I don't know the proper semantic method of making a link open in a new window in those other DTDs, though (which means no Javascript).
    3. In XHTML 1.0 Strict and XHTML 1.1, all inline elements (which includes inputs) need to be contained within block elements like a <div>, <p>, etc.
    4. That's a PHP setting. If you can control php.ini, set arg_separator.output to &amp; instead of &. If you can't, see if you can still set it using [phpfunction]ini_set[/phpfunction].

As for the &nbsp errors, remember HTML entities need to end in a semicolon (use &nbsp; ).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    this is slightly off topic, but the best variation of google maps i've ever seen is http://www.flashearth.com/
    its amazing...

Member #
    I only have one error left now on the main page which comes down to the same thing as my number 4 error before. Aparently PHP puts an extra input tag just after my form tag around which I can't put a <div> because of the same reason as before. Does anyone know a php setting for this as well?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads