Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: New Site Launch

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Creating a personal site that focuses on easy, quick diabetic meals for people on the go. Still coding the site but wanted to get a first impression and any changes.

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    First impressions from me are good I like the design and the colours.

Personally I think the background tile could get a little annoying but that could just be me.

I like your font choices; The title looks especially good and I like the extra line spacing of your body copy.

I think it might be helpful for you to throw a little more content into the "featured recipe" to get a little better impression of the look of the page as well.

Perhaps the only other thing I would mention is that perhaps you could do something with the search box, for me it doesnt quite look 100% right at the moment. Perhaps you could have a play around with it (and the navigation to the right).

Overall though.... I quite like it. Well done. I didn't even bother to look at your code as i'm sure it is fine going by the design.

Member #
    I really like it, you have a very minor display issue right at the bottom with Firefox. Your image breaks the bottom white line. Apart from that its pretty flawless.

From what i could see a user cannot register on the site. As people cannot register do you really need a log-in box on your page?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow, I LOVE the design! I really love the part at the top w/ the logo and radial blue transparency thing. That is so cute!

The only thing is that I think maybe you need a little more padding in the top of your Featured Recipe box - it seems like the text "Featured Recipe" is too close to the top of the box it's in.

Also (and this may have been intentional, if so, then ignore this comment), the spacing above the menu text and below the menu text in the menu is inconsistent - I just mean how for the biggest menu item, "Desserts/Snacks Recipes", there is more space underneath it than above it, in the menu. I usually try to keep them the same. BUT, you obviously have a very good eye for design so if it was intentional then leave it.

Oh I also agree about the search box. I think you should try taking out the dark blue background and the border, and just having the search box floating up there with no background. But put a dark blue (or medium blue) or dark grey border around the actual textbox and the button, and also make the text of the button darker (or dark blue). Hope that made sense. Anyways - just an idea.

I think also if you make the search box text and button text just a little smaller, like maybe 1 size smaller. Then the search box will get smaller too right... I think it would look nice. B/c currently it's bigger than the other text you have up in that header area and I'm just not sure about that... Hmm...

I really like your background. I always want to use backgrounds like that but don't know where people get them from. Did you generate it yourself? Or did you get it from somewhere? Tell me all your secrets :bandit:
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Yea, I wanna know where you got that background from.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    I don't have time for my usual "The Good, The Bad" type of critique, so I'm just going to get to it...

Nice colors, nice background, nice fonts, horribly pixelating gradient behind the food image. Lose the "Recipes" at the end of every nav button and make those buttons smaller. Put some nav links at the bottom of the page. Make the search box smaller too.

I'm also not a fan of sites that call attention to their URL in either the content or in their banner. I either know this already because I typed it in my browser, or I can find out what it is by looking in the address bar.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey,

Just thought I'd mention that I don't think it's bad to have the URL in the header if the URL is the NAME of the site. I mean like there may be dol.gov, but the name of the site is Department of Labor, so naturally you'd put Department of Labor in the header and not dol.gov... But if your site's name is actually diabeticmeals.org I don't see it as a problem. Just my opinion though. (By the way, take a look at the WDF site - webdesignforums.net - it's in the header. And I don't see it as a problem at all)

Also, another idea on the menu, is that if you take away the word recipes, then I'm not sure people will know those are links to recipe pages. However I do think the word recipes is repetitive. So maybe you could do something like this:

Recipes >> Breakfast Lunch Dinner ....

That way, it will be obvious that they're links to recipes, but you won't have the repetitiveness of having the word "recipe" in every nav item.

Heather

Member #
    Thank you all for the nice comments.

To answer some of the questions the background was part of a wordpress template. I liked the background so I kept it.

The reason for the space on the menu is that there is room for a desc. I'm playing around if I want to put a image or desc there.

Fixed the gradient, made it more tie into the white

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That looks nice but I think that "Scrambled Eggs" and also the search box are both too close to the edge of their containing blue box... I think you should put some padding.

Member #
    When I stated that I didn't like URLs in banners and/or content, I was rushing my words. Allow me to explain, I don't like the fact that you have placed a header of "Welcome to DiabeticMeals.org" in your content. I know where I am and it seems to be a waste of space on the page. Since the name of the site is also the URL, placing the URL in the banner makes sense (and always does when this is the case).

I'd like to see a 5px padding added to the div that Heather pointed out above.

Remove Ads