Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey ppl

new site just complete, please let me know what you think. I know it is full of table, but it is on the back of 3rd part ecommerce software

thanks
    Design Industries
    http://www.di.net.au

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Fails validation, mainly because the code is designed for much earlier generation browsers.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    The Good
    I like the colors, they certainly set the tone for the site. Content is well written, but a little lacking. The site's structure is fabulous.

The site looks good with styles turned off.

I like the workaround for those who have JavaScript turned off.

The Bad
    I don't like the big background gradient; I'm thinking a simple black would have fit a little better.

The Hard Yakka logo at the top of the page is suffering from bad compression, as is the text under the Bad WorkWear graphic on the Products page.

Under featured products, I was initially confused about which heading went with which photo. Try tieing the photo to the heading, i.e. remove the gap between the elements. You'll probably also want to remove the rounded corners from the top of those heading so that they flow into the photo better.

The horizontal nav mouseovers took a while to begin working. I'm sure you've probably noticed this already, but your first nav link on the left, under Products, doesn't display properly in FireFox.

The Quick Search text at the top of the page is hard to read, mostly because you're placing red text on a dark gray background. Red works on light gray, but not dark gray. I'd change that text to black. The little graphic arrow next to the search box doesn't line up well in FF.

Member #
    Overall the look is okay. It would be "very good," but the site is about workwear. My first impression is like someone adapted a high end Tuxedo rental template. I would have expected something more like a Timberland or Cintas.

Navigation could use a hover effect, and certainly a "current page" state to aid the user. This is much more important when you understand what the site presents you with when you click "Uniform Builder."

Is it a page title called "Uniform Builder"? No. What you get is not what you expect. Instead the site injects a "name, rank, and serial number" interrogation dialog, without notice or reason. Nothing really explains why the store needs your information to build a uniform, which is something much more like basic shopping. It's like having to be frisked before you can enter Walmart to browse. If I were shopping, not evaluating, I'd probably leave the site at that point.

Taking a phrase from a Flash interface design guru, ask yourself What would Walmart do? Mostly, the lesson would be to not violate basic brand assumptions. Walmart would probably not mislabel departments. And few stores would put body scanners in the changing rooms or frisk you before you enter. Make pages titles match navigation choices and indicate the current page on the nav bar.

You don't see this stuff when you're looking at the code or the graphic design. But then, there's a difference between trying something and using something.

It would be too much to say such inconsistencies between expectation and result are "jarring" or "disorienting." The site is simply mildly annoying.

Member #
    I'm going to copy jameskeeler here and do a "good" and "bad" type of rating...hope you don't mind, James!!

What I like: The banner is attractive. I also like the navigation bar. Plus, everything is neat and well-organized.

Suggestions for improvement: The site is using tables for layout (as others have already pointed out), when XHTML/CSS are the standard now.

I agree that the active page should be highlighted in the menu, so your visitors know where they are on the site! For example, when I click on "Uniform Builder", I'm taken to a page that asks me to create a profile...it gets kind of confusing without visual indicators of your location on the site. If you don't want to highlight the active page, maybe try adding a breadcrumb menu above the titles.

I suggest getting rid of the gradient in the main body text. It just gives an overall depressing feel (for me, anyway). If you must have a gradient, don't have it fade all the way to the bottom. Maybe have it fade to white near the very top. Next, I would make the main body text a little larger. Finally, shorten the body text on the front page, and add some images to make it more interesting. This is something I myself am trying to work on because I tend to write long paragraphs and not include enough images!

Overall, it's not a bad site, but with a few tweaks here and there, it could be even better!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Good : Overall. Nice top menu. Slight sense of humour to the site as well which I think is good, if you don't mind me saying so. Nice colours and layout.

Maybe work on : Rollovers on the bottom right links - where it says "Hi vis workwear", Workwear , and overalls. Make them go red on :hover like you do up the top. Also if you joined these rectangles on to the boxes they correspond to (i.e. they each need moving up abotu 20 px or so effectively) it would be clearer what was what.

Also - your rollovers are a bit slow to respond in the main nav up the top - dunno whether that matters to you, but I had a look at t he Timberland site, and the rollovers are much more responsive on that one.

Overall I was very impressed, I didn't grade because I am only a beginner myself, but I will grade if you want me to.

Member #
    I LIKE IT! small problem with the animation up top the stock has been badly cut and you can see bits and peices of background on their bodies.

Remove Ads