Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've just finished this design off, it's quite basic but I'm not sure if it's too basic. I'm also not sure about repeating the navigation on the right as well as at the top. Still, any feedback is appreciated

Before you ask, yes I do plan to get rid of the PowerPoint, they're something which the client gave me and I'm using them til I can translate them into HTML.

All the usual stuff applies, valid xHTML 1.0 and CSS, tested in Firefox 2.0 and Internet Explorer 7.

Cheers
    Craig

Member #
    Firstly, you logo/header... seriously, its like something from the 80's. Either come up with something a bit more modern yourself or splash out the $100-200 to get one made for you. You can't have a good website with that stapled to the top. It sounds harsh but its true.

Why is the left column aligned to the right yet everything else aligned to the left? Furthermore you have the same navigation at the top as you do in the right column. This gives me the impression that you decided on a 3 column layout and then had to look for content to fill it out.

I suggest you drop the 3rd column and make your site a fixed width of say 8-900px. I feel that this would help your site a lot. It would bring your content together and make your site look a bit more compact. I am viewing your site at 1200x1024 and its too stretched.

Finally the image on your home page with notes in syringes, it took me a while to notice the notes inside. If you plan to keep it, i think you should shrink it a little as it does seem to be a bit overbearing on your page.

Member #
    Perad,

Thanks for the tips. The logo was something I was given from the company itself, so I can't really change it. I'm currently pushing the client for more content to pad the site out a bit. It was also the client's idea to have the navigation doubled on the right, I was just trialing it to see what it looked like before the site went live.

Thanks for the opinions, though
    Craig

Member #
    I agree with Perad on the logo, also the text to the left of it with the 3 letters underlined, seems like it would be just as effective and a little nicer with just the different colors on the letters, no underline.

I also dont think the 'double navigation' makes any sense, and the company should understand that youre the designer and take your word on stuff like this. It makes for a much more cluttered page, more underlined linky type stuff, and it totally unwarrented/unneeded.

And one more thing, I would make the links for the navigation a little more different from the article links, and in fact I might switch the two places.

I think all together it looks good, just keep workign with it, and maybe not so wide.
    http://christopher-scott.org - Ramblings of an amateur web designer
    http://childfreechoice.com - An online community for the positively childfree

Member #
    I've had a play around with the layout, so hopefully it looks a bit better now. As I've said, the header I can't really do a lot about, as it was one of the "givens" that the company specified when I started the job.

I've taken the navigation off of the top banner, and enhanced the navigation down the side slightly to show the current page. I've also taken the width down a bit, to squeeze the content. I'm still waiting for a bit more to pad it out a bit, but hopefully this will come soon.

Thanks for the opinions, very much appreciated
    Craig

Remove Ads