Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is my first website i've ever designed. And I feel stuck with the design. The design appears to me to still be late 90's.. I wanna make it up to date like all the Web 2.0's. I would love some feeback/suggestions and opinions.

thanks,

wayne

Member #
    I agree with you that it does feel a bit dated, but its not that bad. If you're going for a complete overhaul, one of the main things I would focus on would be a solid, and consistant color scheme. Secondly, I would work on your typography. The font sizes on the site all seem about the same, for the most part, and this can seem to clutter up a website. I would start by analyzing the important elements, giving them a larger size, or more emphasis, and then go from there. Third, the site seems to incorperate a lot of photography, which can also tend to clutter it up a bit. I would pare down the amount of images used, and maybe replace a few of them with icons instead (keeping your color scheme in mind of course).

If you're not up for a total redesign, and just want to improve on what you have, I would suggest workign with the margins around the main text area. The text flows right up next to either side, in the white area, and that can be difficult to read for some. I would also work with the navigation, as its a little tough to read with the two toned background. Also the font, and the layout used for the little content areas on the left (the tee box, featured courses, golf instruction) could use some work.

All in all though, the site isn't bad and if this is your first site, you should be more than capable of bringing it up to date.

One last thing I'd suggest. Don't get too bogged down by the whole web 2.0 thing. There are some good things being done with websites these days, but there are way too many people using the same formula over and over (gradients everywhere, drop shadows on everything, common color schemes etc..), myself included, and it tends to homogonize such a dynamic medium like the web. I look forward to seeing your redesign, in whatever shape in comes in, and good luck.
    http://christopher-scott.org - Ramblings of an amateur web designer
    http://childfreechoice.com - An online community for the positively childfree

Member #
    Some CSS tips for starting off:

Use Div's to create "boxes" only.

When you need to make something on a site (say a list) go to W3Schools and see if they have something for your list or paragraph or heading or.... I think you get it.

Use small amounts of CSS. If you're making paragraphs of CSS then you are going to get lost later, and you start to create browser problems because the more CSS, the more possibility for a misunderstanding my some browser (Love you IE irate: ).

Go to W3Schools and learn how to do multiple CSS in one line. I.e. margin: 0(top) 0(right) 0(bottom) 10px(left). This is better than margin-left, margin-right blah blah making your paragraphs. Easier to manage, worth it, I promise.

Use grouping.
    Say you want <h3> to be centered and <h2> also but your <h2> needs to be bigger. You can use grouping.
    HTML Code:
    h3,h2{
    text-align: center; /* Share a quality, instead of duplicating it again */
    }

h2{
    font-size: 72em; /* Specific */
    }
    Use !important to override.
    So you want our h2 above to be smaller when it has a class name. This will override the last statement of 72 pixels when you give your <h2 class="smaller">.

HTML Code:
    h2 .smaller{
    font-size: 12em !important;
    }

Member #
    Another example to help your css:

HTML Code:
    #coursestats {
    	width: 300px;
    	border-top-width: 1px;
    	border-right-width: 1px;
    	border-bottom-width: 1px;
    	border-left-width: 1px;
    	border-top-style: solid;
    	border-top-color: #999999;
    	border-right-style: solid;
    	border-right-color: #999999;
    	border-bottom-color: #999999;
    	border-left-color: #999999;
    	border-bottom-style: solid;
    	border-left-style: solid;
    	height: 126px;
    	margin-top: 10px;
    	float: left;
    	text-align: left;
    	background-color: #999999;
    }
    Could Be:

HTML Code:
    #coursestats {
    	width: 300px;
    	border:1px #999999 soild;
    	height: 126px;
            margin: 10px auto; /* Top 10px the rest auto (0) */
    	float: left;
    	text-align: left;
    	background: #999999 url(images/image.gif);
    }

Member #
    You can also just use #999 rather than #999999 to condense your code a bit more, it will work either way.

Other than what has been said already, my biggest suggestion....

NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use Comic Sans!!!!!
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Jumps on the boart with chris, stick to
    Arial, Verdana (you can also say Sans-Serif to let the OS decide)
    Georgia, Times (Sans-Serif)

HTML Code:
    .curlies{
    font-family: Georgia, Serif;
    }

.straight{
    font-family: Arial, Sans-Serif;
    }

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slyder
    Don't get too bogged down by the whole web 2.0 thing.
    amen :thumbsup:

Member #
    I disagree, don't sweat it, but definitely get into it. Just be careful and let anything you do "Web 2.0" compliment. :bandit:

Web 2.0 just means, when your typing in a text box for instance, an autofill might help you, but won't keep you from getting "Red Popsicles" typed into the text input. :laugh:

Member #
    I'm working on making changes based on you're feedback. thank you very very very much, has been extremely helpful. keep em coming guys.

thanks,
    wayne

Remove Ads