Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.3 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,
    I have launched a local web design studio for the town of Yeppoon, QLD, Australia. I would like any thoughts or comments on the design, usability and whether or not you would feel comfortable dealing with me. Thanks. :classic:
    jylan

Member #
    I find it very overwhelming and busy. I do like that you aren't afraid of using color, but wow, it is bright. On first glance, I don't know where to look, there is so much going on.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Hi chris, what do you think I should do? I am also wondering whether the left sidebar was whited out in your browser. It is supposed to be whited out to an opacity of about .3. If it isn't please let me know.

Member #
    Yea, it is whited out, but the content of the left column don't match the stuff in the main content area (your blog is on the home page, but isn't about design; your photoblog is on your contact page, AND included as a link in your nav; your local weather is on the portfolio page; etc). If I were you I would either make new pages for your blog, and relevant stuff from the left side bar, and lose the rest. I would also make your photoblog page match the rest of the site.

Keep in mind that these are my suggestions, and I am in no way a design genius. They are only what I would do if this were my website.

Good luck you are off to a good start.

PS - You have the XHTML 1.1 validation tag, but your site fails validation with 6 errors, most being that you used & rather than &.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Disclaimer: You are presenting yourself as a designer therefore you will be held at a higher standard

Good:

You're using div's at least ... I'll give you that.

Bad:

Well ... like Chris said above, it's VERY busy ... too busy for a design site. You just need an intro of what you do and some portfolio samples.

The blog on the design site is a debate that's been going on for a while. Depends how professional you want to be, and even then. If you want it on your site tho, don't gray it out and change the color on hover. It's really annoying.

The web design industry is a very competitive one. Look around at other freelance/portfolio and web design companies' sites. Surely you can see that yours in not up to par with some of these sites?

I think you need to rethink the design, make it less "out there", make it more subtle.

Good luck with it.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    I agree with the others, it's too busy and the colors are too much. I love orange, but the alternate light and dark orange hurts my eyes. I don't like the blog, it's not interesting (and not professional), it's hard to read and not intuitive to hover on it to change the color. Even then, the colors don't work well. If you want the blog, put it on another page or at least put it on the right side. The rest of the content is more important, so you shouldn't be using prime space for the blog - if someone has a low screen resolution the blog takes up quite a bit of the space.

Also, you might want to check on the legal aspects of using images from the Bureau of Meteorology's website (if you haven't already gotten their permission).

--------------------------------------------------------------
    phoenix

Member #
    Hi everyone,
    I have had quite a lot of comments from a few sites saying that the layout is too busy. For that reason I am in the middle of making a better layout. Basically, the sidebar will go, and a new option will appear in the nav bar.
    It will be a page with links to other pages on my site (blog, for example), and it will also include links to other sites, such as wudnerground for the local weather.
    You will have to wait until I get back from holidays though!

Member #
    I have now uploaded version 2.1 of the design. Well, I had uploaded this layout while before, but the latest one has a few tweaks to the design. Please check it out and tell me what you think.

Member #
    Erm... it is all screwy looking in Opera.

Member #
    What version of Opera are you using? I know that on my mac version of Opera 6.03, the navigation links do not display as block. I don't know what I can do about the text wrapping underneath either. maybe someone could help me out?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads