Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.3 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.7 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.7 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

It took me a few months, but I've finally been able to update the site. I gave it a total CSS make-over. I picked a new color palette, created tabbed navigation, tightened up the code, and cut back on the amount of sample text.

I think this is the way that I want the site to look, but I want to hear from you. Since this is a complete overhaul, I have created a new thread and hope to get some good criticism.

As always, everyone who posts with legitimate criticism or suggestions will get positive reputation points (x4).

Member #
    its looking rather good, but i think there are some things you could work on:

as im a child of the web 2.0 generation i think if you added a shadow to the bottom/side of the content box.

besides that not too shabby!

Member #
    How are you planning to apply the tabs? By AJAX or standard?

I think its nice and clean, but the pallete seems a bit wierd. Green banner but blue links? Try a pastel pallete.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    The tabs are 100% CSS and the final implementation will be as such.

I thought about changing the link colors but then decided against it. My reasoning: default link colors (active and visited) have become as recognizable to links as the ubiquitous underline. However, if I get sufficient feedback about the color contrast of blue against green, I'll certainly reconsider.

Member #
    Looks good to me!

In regards to the tabs, I agree that something that blends into the header a little more to more would work well. Maybe a shade of green that's a little lighter than the header color to give a sort of transparency effect. Keep the white for the active page, though. I also see that there's a black border around the website content. If you coud somehow make it so the black border goes across the bottom of the navigation and around but not under the active page it would tie together a little better. Alternatively just change the border to white.

I also noticed that the lightbox has a huge gap on the top in Firefox 2.0.0.1 rather than the black covering the whole content area. It's prob something simple with the margin or padding in the body.

I'm also thinking like a shade of gray would look better for the background color rather than the blue.

Code is very clean. Nice work. Maybe adding a hidden header for the navigaiton would be good too for screen readers.

Code:
        <h2 style="display: none;">Navigation</h2>
        <div id="navcontainer">
            <ul id="navlist">
                <li id="active"><a href="#" class="current">Home</a></li>
                <li><a href="#">James</a></li>
                <li><a href="#">Crystal</a></li>
                <li><a href="#">Clara</a></li>
                <li><a href="#">Sara</a></li>
            </ul>
        </div>

Member #
    A contrasting link color is more than enough to symbolize a link.

The blue does throw the color scheme. I would also remove the blue border around the photo.

Apart from that not bad, not bad at all.

Member #
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the photo border. Most people recognize small fotos as thumbnails, or, better yet, give a caption with a link for more photos.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    i'm not keen on the blue link color either, i understand where your coming from with sticking with the default colors so users can easily recognise it, but i feel as long as you have a decent hover effect or somthing they will see it.

Not keen on the header, not bad but just not my taste. however if you are planning on using it i would put your header text a bit more right so the text isn't overlaping the color change.

more top-padding has to added to the header before the main content.

also i prefered the nav when it looked as 1 with the header rather that how its got its on separate brown div.

nice code man

PS: i would rather you didn't add to my reputaion as i'm not giving you feedback for the points.:thumbsup:

Member #
    I'm sorry James but for me this is just bland - lack lustre - flat and uninteresting. If this site is about your family then let's see them; BIG, BOLD, Proud and center stage! Let the copy slip back to the hinterland but first of all we need to be engaged by our hosts. If you were enviting us into your home you wouldn't hand us a resume as we walked in the door, you would intoduce us to everyone : No?
    End of Line.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    Not keen on the header, not bad but just not my taste. however if you are planning on using it i would put your header text a bit more right so the text isn't overlaping the color change.

more top-padding has to added to the header before the main content.
    I was initially confused by your comments, but then I viewed the page with IE7... What a surprise, IE doesn't handle the simple XHTML and CSS files properly. I hate saying this--especially since I took the time to make certain that my code was pristine and valid--this site is best viewed in Firefox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    PS: i would rather you didn't add to my reputaion as i'm not giving you feedback for the points.:thumbsup:
    I don't give a flying squirrel why you're giving me feedback. Giving positive reputation is my way of showing gratitude to each person who posts.

Link Color
    After getting quite a few requests to change the link color, I'm going to reconsider the decision to stick with default colors. The new colors will be pulled from the existing green palette for unvisited and hovered links, and red for visited.

Website Theme
    Arkette brought up a VERY valid point about the theme of the site. I've been telling my wife that I was planning to use the site as a resume site, and yet I placed nav tabs with each family member on the site as well as a picture of my kids on the front page.

Tonight I will be updating the site to begin the process of actual content creation, at which time I will remove all references to my family and replace the nav tabs with tabs pointing to various parts of my resume, e.g. Education, Training, Work Experience, etc... The pic of my kids on the front page will be replaced with a quote from Filburt (with his approval).

If I could double up on reputation to Arkette, I would. Instead, here's a well-deserved attaboy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads