Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I made a site for previewing and downloading web design templates for open source content management systems. There is also a section for standard web design templates that will be added to soon. The goal for the site is to provide a useful service that supports the open source community and free-lance web developers. Currently there are albums for Drupal, Joomla, XOOPS, WordPress, phpBB and SMF.

Check it out and let me know what you think. If you have any suggestions for improvement, both in terms of additional functionality or design changes, I'd be grateful for the input.

http://themebot.com

Member #
    Not bad, but your home page is rather long. I like the color scheme, but your logo doesn't match the glossy look of the rest of the page. I would use a san-serif font where you have the bit that is done in Courier.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    So is this an advertisement? Because most of your "question" is promoting your site and features.
    Maybe you should lose the first 5 paragraphs and just ask the question on what can be improved or what people think of the site.
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    So is this an advertisement? Because most of your "question" is promoting your site and features.
    Maybe you should lose the first 5 paragraphs and just ask the question on what can be improved or what people think of the site.
    Thank you for the feedback so far. I wanted to detail the functionality I've already included so that it is easier for someone visiting the site to pinpoint any new features that would be useful but aren't there yet. I guess it does kind of read like an advertisement aranoid:

Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    Not bad, but your home page is rather long. I like the color scheme, but your logo doesn't match the glossy look of the rest of the page. I would use a san-serif font where you have the bit that is done in Courier.
    The site is more about functionality and finding themes. So, there is a lot of whitespace, the fonts are small and I wanted to keep the header area small. I did pare down the number of newsfeed posts going to the front page. You know, having the front page constantly changing with the news feeds might be preventing Google from indexing the site. It is not banned but for some reason Google hasn't indexed the homepage yet. Do you think that might be the cause?

I used the courier font to give that area a more data-like look. I was thinking about changing the header so that the background has color to give the site more contrast. Also, was thinking of changing the logo for the site name so it has some gloss like the topnav links and is perhaps given an engraved look. It does kind of clash with the rest of the design. Thanks, I had been so focused on other areas of the site that I hadn't noticed that. Sometimes you need a second pair of eyeballs looking at something to see it more clearly. This seems like a helpful forum for getting web design advice Is there anything else that could be improved with the design aspect?

Member #
    gotta agree, this still sounds like an advertisment.
    the layout of the website is somewhat bland and uninteresting, the logo looks like its straight out of a 256 colour palette aka 1996.
    lose the counter, it looks like a free one, if you must have a counter have one like that on deviantart.com.
    i'm all for supporting web standards, but lose the firefox plug, its badly positioned and takes away from the rest of the site, and although your website passes the w3 validation, it gets a hell of a lotta warnings (208!!!) and your css is very VERY bad
    sorry to be harsh, but this is what i noticed on your website

Member #
    Harsh is good. This is exactly the kind of advice i'm looking for.

Counter... gone! Firefox plug... gotta go, nobody clicks on it. I'd also like to get rid of the ads and I'm working on a way to do that so that there is enough income to atleast support maintenance and development.

The site is running on Joomla. Almost all of the validation warnings are related to one module, the New Themes module. I have notified the developer of this module and hope they will fix it in the upcoming release. If not, I'm going to have to dig in and clean it up myself.

Yes, the CSS is terrible. It really is a mess. I feel a bit embarrassed about it since there are probably a lot of talented web designers viewing the site. When I first started building the site I adapted a template that had already been created. I liked the overall feel of the template and the fact that it is fluid and the right and left columns can easily be added or subtracted for any given section of the site. However, the original template was not coded that well, so I had messy CSS to start with and then there are all of my additional hacks on top of it. At one point I decided to try and rebuild the template so that the layout is entirely CSS based. This was no easy task so I decided to put it on the back burner and focus on other aspects of the site. There is just so much to do right now that I haven't been able to get around to it.

I've also thought about having a contest to give ThemeBot a "make-over" and letting members choose the winning theme. I could do some sort of prize and it would also be a plug for the winning theme designer since they would get the credits. Do you think this would be a good idea?

Member #
    i guess that probably would be a good idea, coverage for the winner and attracting new customers to you...
    best of luck with your website!

Member #
    The validation warnings were easier to fix than I thought. Now the XHTML validates with no warnings and the CSS is valid too

Member #
    Replaced the firefox button and made the themebot logo glossy. I think the header is much improved.

Member #
    I redesigned the header area. Let me know what you think

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads