Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I just started making websites, im in high school. I know this website isnt that nice, but I have no idea where to improve except to use CSS instead of frames and making the images smaller. Im working on converting it. Other than that, what should I change/modify?

Edit: I just looked at the rating categories, and under visual appeal it mentions Times New Roman. My client insisted I use Times New Roman. He also asked me to do certain things that you might comment on, but I dont really remember what, but Ill let you know if you mention one.

Member #
    Remove the pink... please.

Change the link colors as well. Add padding to your tables and make them invisible. Alternatively don't use tables.

There is a lot more i could mention but for now i think that will do.

Member #
    Ah, another highschool webdeveloper! Nice to see more.

Generally it's ok. You've got your layout things almost right (you might want to add a banner on top) according to your goals. I think you should learn CSS... don't use these colors because they don't fit with pottery, and use a different font.

Good luck!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    If you are going to use that picture on the front page, I would use blues and greens rather than those shades of purple. Go with a san-serif font (Arial, Tahoma, etc.), rather than a serif one. The links are hard to read on that shade of grey, so I would either lighten that gray a few shades, or use a different color for your links.

Not bad for a first try.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    I would also go through the site and review the text. I noticed quite a few mistakes on just the contact Roman page. Also, there is no navigation back to the home page. I usually create the content in word or some other text editor and past it into the code. There is usually some rework of the code that needs to happen after that, but at least you catch spelling mistakes.

Also, your nav section duplicated itself on at least one page that I saw.

As the others said, you are on your way. These forums have helped me more than I can express. Do your research, use CSS and live will become grand.

Member #
    WHAT?!!! you got paid for that?!
    i dont mean to be nasty, but thats what came into my head, i wish my clients were as, for want of a better word, stupid.
    scrap the pink, it looks cheap and nasty
    blue on pink? are you nuts?
    get rid of the tables
    remove the border from the picture and replace it with a nice soft dropshadow
    make it clearer in you rlinks which are subheadings and which are links.
    instead of having all the pictures large, have thumbnails then use lightbox to show the larger versions
    i agree that a different font should be used, serif ones are so 90s
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 6.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    please remove this.

you should add some seo features, try this link to learn about that, they'll help the website get a good position in google and other search engines.

best of luck, and as a fellow high-schooler, i hope you succeed in the future!

Member #
    Thanks for all the encouragement!

It seems no one likes the colors, but except for the link colors, the guy asked for it, the pink, green, and grey. He also asked for Times New Roman. I made it in linux (not TNR), and when I showed it to him, the first thing he said was it had to be Times. I apologise for the M$ Frontpage, I must have edited the site one last time on his computer. He also didnt want a banner. I asked.

Thank you to everyone, especially thoes who gave me links. I was actually planning on making thumbnails, but my client is a little bit picky and stuborn (sp?), and is going to get me atleast 1 more client. Any suggestions on talking to him? He also wants to be there every step of the way. Luckly (or not), we are neighbors. Actually a 30 second walk to his house.

Im going to make my own site, for practice, and as an example to future customers. I need the freedom.

Edit: Is lightbox free, as in freedom? Opensource? I strongly believe in opensource. I actually made that site with only GIMP and NVU.

Member #
    its free to download!

Member #
    At the end of the day, websites come down to preference and if your client is happy with the end result, then its fine.

Member #
    hmm, maybe so, but the client doesnt always know whats best for them, sometimes you need to tell them that they cant use certain colours or fonts or whatever because it'll look rubbish, tell them that it'll reflect badly on both you and their business, which is never a good thing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads