Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.7 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Okay, so I've decided to set up my own business redesigning web pages for efficiency. So far I have one customer and have actually only started the business this month (January.)

I consider myself pretty good in HTML and CSS, but you're welcome to say otherwise. I'm looking for feedback on my "manila folder" theme. I am aware of the issue in Opera, I will fix it. Also, any suggestions on how to make the site more "attention grabbing" will be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you for your feedback and/or suggestions.

Member #
    I think it's too conservative. It uses very few images and looks much like you're trying to squeeze a lot of information into a single page. Your color scheme looks a bit bland too... full yellow-toned colors aren't a good idea. Try making it more like modern sites - give proper attention areas, reading areas, and navigation strips.

Don't worry, 10kb is just too small to be believable nowadays. A lot of people use JS libraries that can be five times that.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Like Steax said ... get with the times my friend. That site looks like it was done in the early 90s

Get some inspiration on various CSS Showcase sites. Most notably here and here.

The colors are just awfull ... especially with that background. Look for more soothing colors. People like either white or black backgrounds.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Have to agree. You are competing with others, web design doesn't happen in a vacuum ...and it's not just about code validation. The one good point is there are none of those lame validation buttons.

Member #
    Remember that people are going to you to get their sites made. If you can't get your site to be attractive then nobody will even try your services.

I know you're going for efficiency, but people on a 26kbps modem won't be trying to get you to make a website for them (usually). It's totally ok to make glamorous sites - most portfolios are.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    what is with the background?! im guessing you got it free from a background image website?
    i think itd be better without that.
    i do not mean to seem offensive, but are you sure that running a webdesign business with such minimal experience is such a good idea?

Member #
    The plans are a bit... odd too. Most web development sites will make sites compatible with everybody. Giving different plans for different compatibility levels is a bad idea.

Member #
    well , i guess it makes sense to try to make websites valid, but i just do it naturally, i wouldnt sell a website that wasnt it just doesnt make sense to me!

Member #
    Validation should be mandatory, and a service shouldn't be promoted just for validation. I mean, not supporting Opera/Safari on lower plans? Promoting valid XHTML and CSS? Making pages as small as 5kb isn't a way to get more viewers directly. The explanation on the page shows the extra amount of maximum hits, assuming every month you spend your bandwidth completely. But reducing your page size this small will severely damage the attractiveness of the site and may critically wound the site's visitors.

Has a client ever asked you "I want a valid site" over "I want an attractive site"?
    (Err yeah they never ask you either question, but because the second one should be implicit.)

Member #
    well said!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads