Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I just currently designed my first website for my grandmother and with lots of reading of websites and tutorials i managed to learn how to do CSS. This website was also was my first paid website...........mind you there was a family discount, of course.

My grandma, and all my family members say that it is a good website and that it is great, but knowning how families and friends work, i just wanted to see what other people think about the website. Also i wanted to know people's opinion on the technical aspects of the site, like whether or not the CSS is correct, or if there is anything i should do that could improve the site

http://www.creativelanguageresources.com.au

(Yes, i am from australial)
    Thanks

Member #
    Yeah family and friends often aren't enough input. It's a good idea to come to forums and ask.

Lets get down to business... First of all the color scheme. Black on blasting red. This should be toned down... red is a sharp color to many people, and those with visibility problems (perhaps your grandmother's friends or associates) might have the red diluted to a deep brown, which doesn't mix well with black. -- EDIT:
    My browser took forever to load the white background now. So scratch all I said above... although the black border could be smaller.

Comic Sans... it just isn't the font now. People usually go for verdana or arial. Especially for long lengths of text, comic sans can be hard to use.

Ah, CSS! Good work there! Perhaps the one remaining thing I should tell you is to use text instead of images for those links.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    what the hell is with the iamges? a cat or something?!
    the buy now link just goes to the homepage
    get a nicer picture of your grandma, maybe have one done professionally?

This seems to be pixelated and fuzzy?

Member #
    I like it. Simple, loads fast, easy to navigate, unique look. Very good job for a first site.

Member #
    hey thanks guys
    all your help is appreciated, i agree about the red color, it does distract people when they come to the website once i think about it, i wonder what colors i should use instead?

And i do agree with the text font....... i think i might try and learn some more CSS so i can redesign the site and make it look more professional or more like some of those really good CSS websites and even get a professional photo of my grandma. CSS is really cool to use, cause it makes it simple, clean, and loads fast which i like in any website.

To answer your question Solidgold, yes it is a cat, but the cat is a japanese figure and it means welcome (also there is a fan thing that means the same thing).

Member #
    If you want it to look professional, lose the Comic Sans. Go with a sans serif font such as Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, etc.
    I like the red, especially with the Japanese figures at the top.
    What is up with the "marbelized" background. Go with either white or grey, and you will improve your load times.
    Oh my gosh, I looked at the code, and just about passed out. It could really use some formatting, otherwise, you are going to have serious trouble updating it later.
    Why do the links in the body of the site have a mouseover state, when the nav doesn't?
    You have a really intense contact form for your site. Do you really need all of that information to answer a simple question?

Overall, it isn't bad for a first site. Keep up the good work.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads