Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This my first site and I need someone to critique it. Please review it with brutal honesty. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Need help with your tennis game, then visit this Tennis Forum.

Member #
    doesn't connect?

Member #
    Try again. I am 100% sure the site is up and that this link works.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    It looks kind of boring. Buts its clean, and you should always keep that in mind. One problem... You should try making your forums look like the rest of the website.

Member #
    It looks boring, and old. The graphics could use some work too. I agree with Kayo when ot comes to making the forums look like the rest of the site, especially since most of your nav links go to different parts of the forum.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    What would you suggest I do to enhance the visual appeal of my site?

Member #
    Quite a few...

1. Use softer effects for your banner. Nowadays most designers go for the "webtwopoint-o" pale color feel. Sharp embosses and dropshadows are rarely how sites go on now... usually embosses look more like plastic (I'm sure you've seen a lot of this), not metal. Drop shadows are usually less transparent and aren't very far from the text.

2. Color contrast. I have to say there are too many colors, but some may disagree. People usually remember 3-5 colors for a site, like background, body text, link text... people will subconsciously feel put off when they hover a link and the color is a one they've never seen before.

3. Your banner section is rather wide... almost half my browser height is just banner and menu. Can you put your menu on the left (more conventional)?

4. Lack of focal points... when someone comes in, they think "Hey, a site about tennis. What have they got?" - reads rather lengthy and bold and sharp intro - "Ok, articles. Where do I go?" - looks at menu - "Home, forum, news, tip of the day? What the... oh, here it is (near the end)" - Clicks - "Ah, a few articles... lets see... try one." - Clicks - (moment of truth - when visitor reaches content) - "Where am I? Wait? A new window? Oh no the ads are distracting! The text's going everywhere!" - reads - "Urm, now where do I go? Oh well." - closes both windows.

5. On that point, be intuitive. People want to see your content, at least pieces of it, fast. They want to know why they should spend time there. Thats how they know you've got good stuff. Your menu... news is usually on the homepage with an archive section, tip of the day shouldn't be there, FAQ should come last, and viewers don't need a staff section. Just give a contact form. Also, usually banners contain links to the home page.

Get my point? Good luck on this site!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Wow, thanks for the awesome review. I wish everyone was that thorough. I will definitely make some changes when I have the time.

Member #
    Bookmark this site, it is a color schemer that helps me a ton.
    Also, why not tie in the look/feel of a tennis court, or even the colors? Maybe a green background with white borders, and semi-transparent, white text boxes, with a solid white border. Just an idea.
    Right now, there isn't a lot to me that screams tennis mega-site about your site.
    Another idea is to have pictures of people playing tennis. Maybe have users submit pics of themselves playing, or use royalty free/stock photos.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thanks for the site. I was planning on trying to redesign my site to look kind of like the U.S. Open's website.

Remove Ads