Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I have spent the past month and a half writing well over 15,000 lines of code to get my new site up and running... And, well - I need reviews.

Here it is: http://www.eyesoute.com/

I would like reviews on every aspect... The design, the functionality, what you think it's missing, what's broken, and so on.

Member #
    I like it overall - the main problem is lack of center of attention. Your banner isn't really that descriptive, either. It fails the second point of homepages: I must know what your site's about in 6 seconds. I know it's entertainment, but what entertainment?

One other thing - padding. You need padding for the body.

But overall, me likes.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Is there anybody not doing a custom CMS. Mostly without checking about the basic deficencies of the CMS product already out there.

The low contrast text -- medium-light brown on dark brown -- is practically unreadable. For example, it's difficult to see there are instructions for search, let alone tell what those instructions are.

Based on basic usability, a simple search box is usually displayed right on the front page. An option for advanced search by the box usually takes the user to a more advanced page that can be read.

The navigation is pretty complicated and seems geared around the implementation model of the developer. I wouldn't wonder that the user doesn't know where to look or move through the display.

Member #
    Is there anybody not doing a custom CMS. Mostly without checking about the basic deficencies of the CMS product already out there.

The low contrast text -- medium-light brown on dark brown -- is practically unreadable. For example, it's difficult to see there are instructions for search, let alone tell what those instructions are.

Based on basic usability, a simple search box is usually displayed right on the front page. An option for advanced search by the box usually takes the user to a more advanced page that can be read.

The navigation is pretty complicated and seems geared around the implementation model of the developer. I wouldn't wonder that the user doesn't know where to look or move through the display.
    The reason why I wrote my own CMS completely from scratch, is because all CMSs on the market are horrible and do not fit my needs. Besides, CMS merely means Content Management System... I needed a system to manage my content in an intelligent way that is easy to navigate, manage, and update - and thats what my code is.

With that out of the way... Do you have any specific suggestions? Like, new colors to use

Member #
    looks remarkably like the new grey cobra?

Member #
    Whats grey cobra?

Member #
    www.greycobra.com
    it seems to have become something of a standard for a lot of websites

Member #
    Content Management, in practice is often performed like cholesterol management -- something that just has to get done. The difference is cholesterol management is done for yourself, and content management needs to work for users.

This dark industrial theme is more readable. The only real difference is a higher contrast between the text and background.

Let's look at the idea of popular forum threads. Often thread subjects are less than informative. Adding either commentary or an exerpt makes the threads more scannable and likely to draw the reader deeper into the site. There are dozens of other similar elements.

I note that all these forks or custom CMS systems start with one individual ...and no user testing.

Member #
    Content Management, in practice is often performed like cholesterol management -- something that just has to get done. The difference is cholesterol management is done for yourself, and content management needs to work for users.
    eh? im not sure what this means, please elaborate, if only for me

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856

This dark industrial theme is more readable. The only real difference is a higher contrast between the text and background.

Let's look at the idea of popular forum threads. Often thread subjects are less than informative. Adding either commentary or an exerpt makes the threads more scannable and likely to draw the reader deeper into the site.

I note that all these forks or custom CMS systems start with one individual ...and no user testing.

Actually during the entire time of my creating this CMS (From scratch), I had 10 people testing various aspects of it as I added them... It was designed, built, and created based off of my own experience as well as a few other people's experience with CMS's that are out there, thus it was built around an actual need.

Anyways, thanks for the link... I didn't create the design, but will probably end up fixing it, and considering I have no experience with design - this will help me a lot.

Anyways, I don't quite understand your note about popular forum threads...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads