Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Nope, not a band site, but I'm using it until I have the time to get my own domain... Portfolio/Blog site. Still needs work on the functionality, just looking for critique on the design
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    hey darknail,

your page looks very nice and clean. two pieces of advice:

1) you're splash page especially is too close to the "mac" look. stay away from trendy things because it makes your page look so similar to so many immediately and then very dated in the long run (and in the not so long run).

here's a page that goes for the reflection/sleek look but doesn't remind me of the "mac" style at all. it's the first i found in a very quick search:

http://www.rareview.com/

2) you might want to add some organic touches to your layout. i know when most designers are working a web page that are more likely to think "business" than creative because that's what YOU want out of a site (more clients). when a client is looking for a designer they are looking for creative (and professional of course).

look at this site:

https://www.shopspicebox.com/secure.asp

it really yells "designer". keep in mind a lot of people pick a designer based on his work, because they like his "style". design your own page as an example of what kind of style you can bring to their own work.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I likw the website. It simple, clean, and it is how it should be. One think. The quote from opeth, I think it would be better if you made it into text, instead of a picture.

Member #
    its basically just the apple site isnt it? yeah? ok, get some original ideas
    i dont mean to be rude, but you've blatantly just copied apple and that isnt design

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    its basically just the apple site isnt it? yeah?
    What, because it has a plasticy look? So it's credible now only if Apple's the one doing it? Maybe I should stop using tiled patterns just because someone else thought of it before me.

Member #
    hmmm... critique is always appreciated. However I just went to the apple site, and basically mine doesn't look like it at all. My home page is built around the nav while the apple home page is built around the iphone. Is it really just the gloss on the buttons that basically makes it look like the apple site? That's like saying every blonde chick looks the same just becasue her hair is blonde. Thanks for the laugh man Also thank you to the first postee... I took a look at rareview and that site is awesome. The site they did on artichokes actually is pretty unbelievable. Any more?
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    ok, ok, maybe i was a bit rude... sorry

what i ment to say was that this website is very similar to the apple website (although as you mentioned centered around the nav, as opposed to a certain product), as well as a lot of other sites that copy apple which you don't want to be grouped into, its usually best to be seen to be unique and innovative particularly in this day and age when every new thing becomes cliched in no time at all. your website in itself is nice looking, i just ment to say about not looking cliched.
    hope my explanation is a little less offensive!
    Solidgold

Member #
    Well you are 100% right about the site looking very cliche. My plan is though to have 2 different versions of my site; 1 being a cliche version that would hopefully appeal to corporate design and one that would be a design design that would appeal to people looking to embark on a more creative venture.

I work for Prudential so I am forced to tone it down on the creativity. Its good in one sense because you have to learn to work with a very limited toolset and then frustrating on the same front because you have people making creative decisions that don't know what the hell they are talking about. Its very interesting how corporate design philosophy differs from what we would call acceptable. Different things entirely are focused on and sometimes take precedence over REAL creativity. Its sad but true.

I bet you might like my more creative mockup. Let me know what you think. This one is giving me a lot of trouble right now because of how many images are involved with this. I might even do this as a flash project. Even though I don't know how to use flash well at all, that's how I learned javascript, php, xhtml & css. You just have to get your feet wet.
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    i think i'd be great as a flash project - you could give it a real interactive edge which would be nice

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    i think i'd be great as a flash project - you could give it a real interactive edge which would be nice
    your right into your flash aren't you solid

i have to say the site is very cliched. too much reflections and gradients thingys.

less is more for me in this design. would prefer a simpler look

Remove Ads