Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please critique the new design of my business, CRV Designs. Don't be afraid to be honest! Thanks in advance.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Disclaimer: You are promoting yourself as a professional web designer and therefore will be held to a higher standard.

The Good
    Nice colors.

The Bad
    No external stylesheet! 27 errors in your code?

Your navigation is a confusing mess. Nav links at the top left, nav buttons in the header, breadcrumb nav that shows me being on the home -> shopping cart page when I am supposed to be at home, more nav links under the header, more nav links at the bottom of the page BUT NO LINK TO HOME IN THE BOTTOM NAV LINKS!

I decided to look at your portfolio to see if your client work is better than this. I chose ETSU Continuing Medical Education since I live close to it. What I was linked to was a horrible example of Mysterymeat Navigation! A splash screen with links embedded for navigation. Not only could I not tell where the links were, but when I found them I had no idea where they led! I decided to click on the big text link at the bottom of the page. I was taken to QCOM Continuing Medical Education. This site looked better until I started looking closely at the graphics. I could barely read any of them.

All-in-all, I think these websites represent the worst design I've ever seen from a professional designer.

Member #
    I agree that the Quillen College of Medicine Design is now terrible, as it has changed significantly since I designed for them. The errors in my code are due to me using OSCommerce as my starting point and I realize that these need to be addressed. I am not using an external stylesheet because there is no need as I am using a single page template file. An external stylesheet would only add extra work. I realize that in a normal situation one is usually needed, but not in this one. I appreciate your critique and I will adress the issues you've brought up.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by beachkitty85
    I am not using an external stylesheet because there is no need as I am using a single page template file. An external stylesheet would only add extra work.
    how is it more work? seems like your duplicating code for no reason.

i don't like the stripey bg (for body and nav), takes away from the page look. i agree that your navigation is cluttered, that is a prority 1 to me. navigation has to be simple and eye catching imo

Member #
    I have corrected the navigational links problem. I deleted the breadcrumb trail I was using as it was a bit redundant. I also added an additional link to the home page. My home page, as well as almost all other pages, now validates with no errors. Finally, I've moved the stylesheet to an external file. I didn't do this sooner because it was convenient to edit my template and upload only one file, but it's not that big of a deal I suppose. Thanks for the critique so far.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    Holy long sidebar, Batman! You need to check your nav/sidebar in Opera. It is 3-4 times longer than your content section. Why in the world is your nav all over the place
    ?
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Sorry, the Opera display weirdness was due to a silly CSS error. It's fixed now.
    Christina Van Dyke

CRV Designs
    Apex, NC
    www.crv-designs.com

Member #
    OK, so yes, it is fixed, but your tag line is "One of a kind," but your site is not.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    It took me an extensive amount of time to locate the "portfolio" section.

I think your site's main design problem is lack of contrast - not on the element level, but the macro level. The background seems to be just as busy as the content area... and there's just no focus point.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads